New spring promotional blitz targets travellers in GB for short breaks and holidays in Northern Ireland
Campaign will be seen by millions and reach 75% of all adults in GB
Tourism Ireland has launched a £3.5 million, multi-media promotional campaign, to boost travel to Northern Ireland from GB over the coming months. The campaign will be seen by millions and will reach at least 75% of all adults in GB. It will generate demand and drive bookings for short breaks and holidays in Northern Ireland.
The extensive campaign will include advertising on major TV channels; digital outdoor ads running on more than 315 sites across GB; ads on popular digital and social channels; co-operative promotions with airlines and ferry operators serving Northern Ireland; as well as a busy programme of publicity. The campaign will also include a new music partnership, to highlight the recent designation of Belfast as a UNESCO City of Music.
Economy Minister Gordon Lyons MLA said: “Tourism is an enormously important industry for Northern Ireland and will be a key driver for our economy as we re-build and re-grow from the devastating impact of the Covid pandemic. I very much welcome the new Tourism Ireland £3.5 million Green Button / Embrace a Giant Spirit campaign to promote Northern Ireland in GB.
“Northern Ireland is well known for its fantastic tourism product, including the beautiful Causeway Coastal Route, the historic city of Londonderry, the fantastic lakelands of Fermanagh, and of course, our capital city, Belfast, with our maritime history highlighted at Titanic Belfast, a truly world-class visitor attraction. Just last week I attended the preview of the spectacular new Game of Thrones Studio Tour in Banbridge, which will be the only officially licensed Game of Thrones experience in the world and is now open and ready to welcome visitors.
“The GB market continues to be a vitally important one for our tourism industry at this time of regrowth and I am confident that this campaign will yet again show the best of what Northern Ireland has to offer. Our tour operators, visitor attractions, hospitality businesses and accommodation providers are ready to welcome our GB customers to enjoy all that Northern Ireland has to offer.”
Niall Gibbons, Chief Executive of Tourism Ireland, said: “We are delighted to unveil our new £3.5 million campaign to promote Northern Ireland in GB – which will highlight our great cities, spectacular scenery and the many things to see and do here. As we continue to rebuild our tourism business from the all-important GB market, our aim is to remind prospective visitors that Northern Ireland is the perfect destination for a short break or holiday. Tourism Ireland will be pulling out all the stops to drive as much business as possible to Northern Ireland over the coming months.”
GB is an important market for tourism to Northern Ireland. Before COVID-19, in 2019, we welcomed almost 1.5 million GB visitors to Northern Ireland, whose visits generated £369 million in revenue.
Christopher Brooke, Chairman of Tourism Ireland; Economy Minister Gordon Lyons; and Niall Gibbons, Chief Executive of Tourism Ireland, launching Tourism Ireland’s £3.5 million promotional campaign to boost travel to Northern Ireland from GB.
Notes To Editors
Highlights of Tourism Ireland’s £3.5 million campaign include:
TV and broadcast video-on-demand advertising
Ads will run on TV and broadcast video-on-demand during the period 7-28 February, reaching 57% of ABC1 adults in GB. Ads will run on ITV, Channel 4 and the Sky network around popular entertainment programmes with large audiences, such as Coronation Street and Good Morning Britain. Click here to view the ad.
Digital outdoor ads will run on over 315 sites across GB during the period 14-27 February, reaching 40% of all adults in GB. They will highlight holidays in Northern Ireland on attention-grabbing, large format digital screens in the key cities of London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Digital and social advertising
TV and outdoor advertising will be complemented by extensive activity on digital and social channels, including (but not limited to) YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and TripAdvisor. This will run on 1-28 February, encouraging potential visitors to discover more and book.
The campaign will also include a new music partnership, to highlight the recent designation of Belfast as a UNESCO City of Music and the rich history of music in Belfast.
Co-operative promotions with carriers
Promoting Northern Ireland to the GB travel trade
- Tourism Ireland will undertake campaigns with airlines and ferry operators, to help drive travel to Northern Ireland over the coming months – highlighting ease of access from GB and the good value fares on offer.
- Tourism Ireland has invited all carrier partners in GB to work co-operatively on the promotion of their services to Northern Ireland. For example:
- a joint campaign with easyJet will highlight services from GB to Belfast International Airport and Belfast City Airport and will run in London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- a campaign with Ryanair will promote travel during the spring and summer months on its Manchester to City of Derry Airport flights.
- a campaign with Loganair will promote its flights from Scotland to Belfast City Airport and City of Derry Airport.
- a partnership with flight search engine Skyscanner will promote flights to Northern Ireland to prospective GB visitors, during the research phase of their holiday planning.
- Tourism Ireland will highlight Northern Ireland to influential GB tour operators and travel agents via key travel trade media titles such as TTG, Travel Weekly and ABTA magazine. Activity will include a mix of online and print advertorials, as well as email marketing and posts on social media. Key messages will include what’s new in Northern Ireland for 2022 and great reasons to visit, our superb regional tourism offering, as well as ease of access from GB for a hassle-free short break or holiday.
- Tourism Ireland will organise a Northern Ireland showcase event for GB journalists and influencers in London, on 2 March. Approximately 20-30 top GB travel editors and journalists – from a range of print, broadcast and online media outlets – as well as some influencers, will attend. The aim is to highlight the good news stories about Northern Ireland tourism in 2022, including the opening of Game of Thrones Studio Tour at Linen Mill Studios, the 10th anniversary of Titanic Belfast, Belfast Unesco City of Music, as well as screen tourism (including the final series of Derry Girls and the new Belfast film directed by Kenneth Brannagh) – so that they will then share those stories with their readers, viewers and followers.
- Tourism Ireland will celebrate the new Belfast film and leverage its huge popularity right now. Interviews secured with Kenneth Brannagh and some of the cast members of Belfast – capturing the warmth and fondness they have for Belfast and Northern Ireland – will be used to create a new short video.