~ Tourism Ireland presents themes and stories about the island of Ireland to top Spanish travel journalists and influencers ~
Tourism Ireland in Spain unveiled its key themes for 2019, at an event in Madrid attended by around 55 top travel and lifestyle journalists – including representatives of Condé Nast Traveller, Cosmopolitan, El Mundo and El País
– as well as social influencers and leading Spanish travel professionals.
There was a special focus on Northern Ireland at this year’s event, with a Game of Thrones
theme and representatives of Visit Derry in attendance. Guests enjoyed some wonderful food and drink from Northern Ireland – including shortbread from Farringford Foods, Suki Tea and Bushmills whiskey.
Tourism Ireland also unveiled its new “Fill your Heart with Ireland” campaign
(in Spanish, “Irlanda llega a tu corazón”). Spain is an important market for tourism to Ireland and CSO figures for January 2019 indicate a growth of +28% in arrivals from Spain, over January 2018 – a positive start to the year.
“In 2018, we welcomed around 443,000 Spanish visitors to Ireland,”
said Barbara Wood, Tourism Ireland’s Manager Spain. “Tourism Ireland will undertake an extensive programme of promotional activity once again in 2019, to continue to grow tourism numbers to the island of Ireland. Our new ‘Fill Your Heart With Ireland’ campaign is now live – targeting Spanish travellers on popular video websites and social platforms. We are also rolling out a number of co-operative campaigns with key partners like Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Iberia Express and Logitravel.”
Tourism Ireland is rolling out a busy and targeted programme of activity in Spain, to continue to grow Spanish visitor numbers. The organisation is placing a greater focus on driving growth to less visited attractions and locations, as well as on driving business in the off-peak and shoulder seasons. Around 37% of all Spanish visitors to Ireland arrive in the off-season months (Q1 and Q4) – a real opportunity to win business at a time when there is capacity in accommodation and other tourism facilities.
Tourism Ireland’s ‘Fill Your Heart with Ireland’
in Spanish, ‘Irlanda llega a tu Corazón’ ads are running on popular Spanish video websites, as well as on social channels, including Facebook and Instagram. And, Tourism Ireland is partnering with major media titles like Elle, Vogue, Condé Nast Traveller
and National Geographic
– with articles about the island of Ireland running on their websites this spring. The campaign will deliver 32 million impressions and 2.8 million video views.
Tourism Ireland will roll out a digital and outdoor campaign with Aer Lingus, during March – highlighting flights from Madrid and Barcelona to Dublin and from Barcelona to Cork. Tourism Ireland will partner with Ryanair, also in March, promoting flights from Madrid, Barcelona and Santander to Dublin. Other joint campaigns this spring will see Tourism Ireland work with Iberia Express and with leading online travel agents (OTAs) like Logitravel and Atrapalo.
Bronagh Masoliver, Visit Derry; Caroline Phelan, Embassy of Ireland in Madrid; Santiago Cordoba, Traveltino; Pura Gimenez and Barbara Wood, both Tourism Ireland; and Carlos García, Logitravel, at Tourism Ireland’s event for journalists and bloggers in Madrid.
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing around 325,000 people across the island.
- In 2018, we welcomed around 11.2 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland (+6% on 2017), delivering revenue of approximately €6.1 billion (+10%).
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted 20.3 million visitors in 2018.