500,000 Americans targeted in new Tourism Ireland promotion for Northern Ireland ~
Tourism Ireland is ‘wrapping’ Metro
newspapers with Northern Ireland in New York, Boston and Philadelphia today. Attractive, four-page wraps are highlighting holidays here to about 450,000 commuters in the three cities.
It’s all part of Tourism Ireland’s latest campaign to promote Northern Ireland in the important United States market. The wraps are inviting New Yorkers, Philadelphians and Bostonians to come and “Explore Game of Thrones© Territory and More”. They feature wonderful photos of places like the Dark Hedges, Royal County Down, Belfast and Ballintoy.
As well as the Metro
wraps today, the month-long campaign also includes:
- Northern Ireland ads in Metro newspapers in New York, Boston and Philadelphia (almost 450,000 readers);
- email marketing highlighting Northern Ireland and our special Year of Food and Drink to 36,000 Metro subscribers;
- a travel article all about Northern Ireland in tomorrow’s (Thursday, 16 June) Metro in the three cities; and
- a four-page feature about Game of Thrones filming locations in Northern Ireland on 27 June, the morning after the final episode of season six of the HBO fantasy drama airs in the US.
This campaign is just one element of Tourism Ireland’s extensive promotional programme aimed at boosting travel to Northern Ireland from the United States during 2016.
Alison Metcalfe, Tourism Ireland’s Head of North America, said: “Our latest promotion with Metro is highlighting many of our key themes for 2016, including the Causeway Coastal Route, our world-class golf, Northern Ireland’ Year of Food and Drink and, of course, our connection with Game of Thrones. The United States is an extremely important market for tourism to Northern Ireland and Tourism Ireland is undertaking an extensive programme of promotions throughout 2016, to continue to build awareness of Northern Ireland as a premier vacation destination.”
Alison Metcalfe (second left) and Deirdre O’Brien (right), both Tourism Ireland, with Metro vendors in New York, holding today’s Metro which is ‘wrapped’ with a Northern Ireland message.
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting Northern Ireland and the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is responsible for in excess of 5.2% of GDP in Northern Ireland and supports approximately 43,000 jobs.
- In 2015, we welcomed about 1.9 million overseas visitors to Northern Ireland, delivering revenue of about £454 million.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.Ireland.com, available in ten different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world. In 2015, Ireland.com attracted about 16.6 million visitors.