Michelin star chef JP McMahon has been highlighting our superb food and drink experiences in Canada.
Tourism Ireland in Toronto invited JP McMahon to take part in a busy programme of culinary events, which included:
- an interactive lunch, combining ‘traditon and innovation’, which was attended by top Canadian food writers and influencers;
- an appearance on Canadian television, when JP highlighted Irish cuisine to viewers of the popular Your Morning breakfast show on CTV; and
- the preparation and presentation of a special menu for Insight Vacations (leading tour operator), for the launch of its 2020 ‘Luxury Gold’ programme.
“Gastronomy and the extremely high quality of Irish produce is one of the key themes being promoted by Tourism Ireland, so we were delighted to work with JP McMahon once again this week – helping us to shine a spotlight on our superb culinary experience,” said Dana Welch, Tourism Ireland’s Manager Canada. “Ireland’s food scene has undergone something of a revolution in recent years. Artisan producers and world-class chefs like JP McMahon have been getting creative with our produce, using fresh local ingredients to create incredible flavours.”
Dana Welch continued: “Tourism Ireland is encouraging prospective Canadian visitors to come and ‘Taste the Island’, to experience our award-winning local produce, dine in our excellent restaurants, visit our fantastic distilleries and breweries, or perhaps take in a food trail or festival. Our message is that there has never been a more exciting time to come and discover the food scene in Ireland.”
In 2018, we welcomed 244,000 Canadian visitors to the island of Ireland. Tourism Ireland is rolling out an extensive programme of promotions again throughout 2019, to continue to grow Canadian visitor numbers.
Chef JP McMahon on Canadian television, appeared on the popular Your Morning breakfast show, with the show’s host Anne-Marie Mediwake and Dana Welch, Tourism Ireland.
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing around 325,000 people across the island.
- In 2018, we welcomed almost 11.2 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland (+5% on 2017), delivering revenue of approximately €5.86 billion (+5%).
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted around 20+ million visitors in 2018.