Millions across Britain to see new Ireland golf promotion
The hugely successful 148th Open has come to a close and Tourism Ireland has launched a new golf campaign in Britain – to harness the excitement of the weekend and continue to leverage the tourism benefit of the tournament and the fact that all eyes were on Royal Portrush and Northern Ireland.
The campaign includes a new partnership with The Daily Telegraph
– both the print and online versions – which will run until the end of August. The Telegraph
has a combined print and online reach of around 22 million and the partnership sees Tourism Ireland working with golfing greats Padraig Harrington and Leona Maguire. It includes:
- an eight-page supplement in the print edition of The Daily Telegraph, which kicked off the partnership this weekend (on 20 July), featuring Padraig’s and Leona’s top tips for golf in Ireland, as well as articles about holidays here and helpful ‘off the course’ tips;
- a dedicated ‘Indulge in Ireland’ section on The Daily Telegraph website, showcasing lots of great reasons to visit;
- an interactive digital map within the ‘Indulge in Ireland’ section of the site, highlighting some of Padraig’s and Leona’s favourite golf courses; and
- Tourism Ireland’s ‘Fill Your Heart With Ireland’ ads in both the print and online versions of the newspaper.
A separate campaign is also under way in Scotland – in conjunction with two popular newspapers, The Herald
and The Scotsman
, which have a combined print and online reach of over 4.4 million. This campaign will run until early August and includes:
- three full-page articles all about the island of Ireland and our world-class golf in the weekend magazines of The Herald and The Scotsman. The same articles will also appear on the websites of both newspapers, as well as on the sites of other titles such as The Sunday Post and The Press and Journal; and
- a competition to win a short break for two in Belfast, which is being promoted in the print editions of The Herald and The Scotsman, as well as online.
Tourism Ireland’s campaign is designed to continue to capitalise on The Open and to remind people across Britain about our fantastic golf courses and that the island of Ireland is a superb holiday destination.
“Following the historic return of The Open to Northern Ireland after 68 years, Tourism Ireland will continue to take every opportunity to leverage this prestigious event”
, said Julie Wakley, Tourism Ireland’s Head of Great Britain. “Our partnerships with The Daily Telegraph, The Herald and The Scotsman are further excellent opportunities to spread the word about our world-class golf, as well as some of the many other things to do and see on a holiday on the island of Ireland, to millions of people across Britain.”
An eight-page supplement with The Daily Telegraph.
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing around 325,000 people across the island.
- In 2018, we welcomed around 11.2 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland (+6% on 2017), delivering revenue of approximately €6.1 billion (+10%).
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted around 20+ million visitors in 2018.