106+ million American homes to tune into Irish dance and culture
An Emmy award-winning travel series – called Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi
– is filming in Ireland this week. The show reaches more than 106 million households in the United States on PBS (Public Broadcasting Service, the public TV network) and Amazon Prime.
Mickela Mallozzi is the producer and host of the series and the show follows her as she travels around the world. What makes the show unique is that Mickela explores and highlights some of the cultural and dance traditions of each destination she visits. She and her crew – who are here as guests of Tourism Ireland and Fáilte Ireland – have been filming a food tour in Dingle and sean nós dancing in Killarney, as well as at Matchmaking Festival in Lisdoonvarna and in Doolin.
“We are delighted that Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi is filming in the West of Ireland this week,”
said Alison Metcalfe, Tourism Ireland’s Head of North America. “It is a wonderful opportunity to highlight our beautiful scenery, and some of the many things to see and do here, to a huge audience across the US. The publicity value of a TV programme like this is incalculable – it is an excellent way of promoting the Wild Atlantic Way and Ireland, helping to inspire prospective American holidaymakers to come and experience the destination for themselves.”
Tourism Ireland has a busy programme of targeted promotional activity under way in North America this autumn, to highlight vacations here in the shoulder and off-season months and to position us well for 2019.
Alison Metcalfe continued: “Last year, we welcomed a record 1.83 million visitors from North America to the island of Ireland. And, the growth momentum continues in 2018, with latest CSO figures indicating an increase of +13.5% in visitors for the January to July period. We are confident that our strategy for growth and extensive marketing programme, combined with more airline seats than ever before and the superb vacation experience on offer in Ireland, will deliver further record growth this year and into 2019.”
Mickela Mallozzi, the producer and host of Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi, filming in The Global Village Restaurant in Dingle with chef and proprietor Martin Bealin.
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 300,000 people across the island.
- In 2017, we welcomed approximately 10.3 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of about €5.6 billion.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted around 19.2 million visitors in 2017.