Tourism Ireland launches new campaign with Atrapalo to grow Spanish tourist numbers
Millions of Spaniards encouraged to discover Northern Ireland
Around 1.5 million Spaniards are seeing eye-catching ads for Northern Ireland in bus and train stations and in shopping centres around Barcelona right now. Tourism Ireland’s latest promotion, in partnership with Atrapalo, a major online travel agent in Spain, is under way. The campaign aims to grow Spanish tourist numbers to Northern Ireland this summer and is being rolled out this month to take advantage of late booking patterns among Spanish holidaymakers.
As well as the outdoor ads dotted around Barcelona, the campaign also includes:
- ads in top national newspapers in Madrid and Barcelona, including El País, El Mundo, La Razón and ABC, which have a combined readership of around 905,000;
- online ads on popular news and lifestyle websites like El Mundo, El País and the Huffington Post, which will be seen by millions of readers;
- email marketing to approximately 2.7 million Spaniards; and
- promotions via Atrapalo’s social channels, to its fanbase of more than 420,000.
Tourism Ireland is also highlighting ease of access to Northern Ireland, promoting the direct easyJet flight from Barcelona to Belfast as part of the Atrapalo packages on offer.
Barbara Wood, Tourism Ireland’s Manager Spain, said: ““In 2017, we welcomed more than 46,000 Spanish visitors to Northern Ireland, up +9% on 2016. Tourism Ireland is rolling out a busy and targeted programme of promotions throughout 2018, to continue to grow Spanish visitor numbers to Northern Ireland. Our co-operative campaign with Atrapalo is an important element of that programme, to boost travel to Northern Ireland during the summer months.”
Ad in a Barcelona shopping centre.
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting Northern Ireland and the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is responsible for in excess of 5.2% of GDP in Northern Ireland and supports approximately 61,300 jobs.
- In 2017, we welcomed 2.175 million overseas visitors to Northern Ireland, delivering revenue of £566 million.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted around 19.3 million visitors in 2017.