For the second year running, Ireland has triumphed at The Group Travel Awards in Britain and has been voted Best European Destination
– beating off stiff competition from destinations like Italy, Germany, Paris, the Netherlands, Austria and Belgium to claim the title. The award was presented to representatives of Tourism Ireland at the awards ceremony in London.
The annual awards celebrate and recognise the best destinations, events, accommodation, transport providers and attractions for the British group travel industry – as voted for by readers of GTO
(Group Travel Organiser) magazine.
Julie Wakley, Tourism Ireland’s Head of Great Britain, said: “We are delighted that Ireland has been voted ‘Best European Destination’ once again at the Group Travel Awards and we would like to take this opportunity to thank all the group travel organisers who voted for us. Travellers nowadays have tremendous choice, which makes it more important than ever for us to ensure the island of Ireland stands out from other destinations – so this award is good news indeed, reminding group organisers around Britain that Ireland is the ideal choice.”
David Wood, Tourism Ireland (second left), with the award for Best European Destination; also pictured are TV presenter Matt Johnson; Ellie Fulcher, Fred Olsen Cruise Lines (sponsor); and Sarah Jeffery, organiser of The Group Travel Awards.
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 281,000 people across the island.
- In 2017, we welcomed approximately 10.65 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of about €5.78 billion.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted around 19.3 million visitors in 2017.