850,000 American commuters targeted in new Tourism Ireland promotion for Northern Ireland
Tourism Ireland ‘wrapped’ Metro
newspapers in New York and Boston with great images and information all about Northern Ireland this week. An eye-catching, four-page wrap highlighted holidays here and great value airfares with Norwegian to about 850,000 commuters in both cities.
It’s all part of a new, four-week Tourism Ireland campaign with Norwegian, to promote flights to Belfast from New York and Boston/Providence and to highlight Northern Ireland in the all-important US market. The wraps invited commuters in both cities to “Fly to Northern Ireland for as little as $115 one way”.
They featured eye-catching photos of places like Belfast City Hall, Enniskillen Castle, Titanic Belfast, Royal Portrush and the Giant’s Causeway.
As well as the Metro
wraps, the campaign also includes:
- radio ads, reaching hundreds of thousands of listeners in New York and Boston;
- three double-page spreads in the travel section of Metro in New York and Boston (one full-page travel article about Northern Ireland and one full-page ad), as well as full-page Northern Ireland ads in Metro newspapers in both cities; and
- targeted advertising on Facebook, driving potential visitors to the Belfast section of Tourism Ireland’s website, Ireland.com.
This campaign with Norwegian is just one element of Tourism Ireland’s extensive promotional programme aimed at boosting travel to Northern Ireland from the United States in 2018.
Alison Metcalfe, Tourism Ireland’s Head of North America, said: “We are delighted to partner with Norwegian once again, to maximise the promotion of its flights to Belfast. Our aim is to highlight Northern Ireland as a great vacation destination, as well as ease of access from Boston and New York with great value fares. As an island destination, the importance of convenient, direct, non-stop flights cannot be overstated – they are absolutely critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism.
“The United States is an extremely important market for tourism to Northern Ireland and Tourism Ireland is undertaking an extensive programme of promotions throughout 2018, to continue to build awareness of Northern Ireland as a premier vacation destination. Our aim is to build on the success of 2017, when we welcomed around 257,000 North American visitors to Northern Ireland.”
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting Northern Ireland and the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is responsible for in excess of 5.2% of GDP in Northern Ireland and supports approximately 61,300 jobs.
- In 2017, we welcomed 2.175 million overseas visitors to Northern Ireland, delivering revenue of £566 million.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted around 19.3 million visitors in 2017.