Autumn promotional blitz targets late-season travellers around the world
Tourism Ireland today launched its autumn promotional campaign, to boost late-season travel to Ireland from around the world. The September to December period usually yields as much as 30% of Ireland’s annual overseas tourism business. As part of the campaign, Welsh TV and radio presenter Aled Jones arrived in Dublin today – to film a new online video for a promotion in Britain which will reach about 7.5 million potential holidaymakers.
Tourism Ireland’s autumn campaign will highlight the many festivals and events taking place right around the island this autumn and winter – from the Dublin Theatre Festival to the Bram Stoker Festival and Culture Night, Galway International Oyster Festival, Belfast International Arts Festival, Waterford Harvest Festival, Cork Jazz Festival, Savour Kilkenny, Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival, Wexford Festival Opera and New Year Festival (NYF) Dublin. It will incorporate a major focus on city breaks, as well as on attracting visitors to more rural areas over the coming months, and we will continue to work closely with our colleagues in Failte Ireland to maximise the opportunities.
Tourism Ireland CEO Niall Gibbons said: “We have seen growth of +3.1% in overseas visitors to Ireland for the first seven months of 2017. Looking forward, our autumn campaign aims to take advantage of late booking trends around the world, as there is still plenty of business to play for. Many people are opting for shorter holiday breaks and autumn is a good opportunity with many world-class festivals and events happening around the island.”
Niall Gibbons continued: “Tourism Ireland’s publicity drive continues this autumn – targeting print, broadcast and online media around the world, with lots of positive stories about Ireland. We continue to work hard to maximise the success of winter air routes, to grow tourism in the shoulder and off-seasons. We will promote the island of Ireland through our sales missions to the United States, the Middle East and India. In addition, Tourism Ireland will bring top overseas travel agents and tour operators to Ireland this autumn to meet with hundreds of tourism businesses here and negotiate inclusion in their 2018 brochures and programmes.”
Tourism Ireland’s autumn campaign is being rolled out in Great Britain, North America, Mainland Europe, Australia and emerging tourism markets. Highlights of the campaign include:
Welsh TV and radio presenter Aled Jones (left) with Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, in Trinity College at the Dublin launch of Tourism Ireland’s autumn campaign.
- Ireland takes over Saks Fifth Avenue – with eye-catching window installations highlighting the island of Ireland in the Saks Fifth Avenue flagship locations in New York and Beverly Hills;
- Kodaline will star in Tourism Ireland’s latest online video campaign with Vevo, a popular music and entertainment platform, highlighting Dublin to up to 10 million ‘social energisers’ in Britain;
- A separate promotion in Britain with Welsh TV and radio presenter Aled Jones, on Classic FM and Smooth Radio, which will reach more than 7.5 million ‘culturally curious’ travellers;
- ‘Dublin – A Breath of Fresh Air’ campaigns, in conjunction with Fáilte Ireland, will run in the United States, Britain and Mainland Europe;
- ‘Jump into Ireland’ travel trade and media blitz in San Diego, San Francisco and Dallas;
- Sales mission to the Middle East (Dubai and Abu Dhabi) and India (Mumbai and Delhi);
- ‘Flavours of Ireland’ workshop, targeting long-haul markets through influential UK inbound tour operators;
- Co-operative promotions with TripAdvisor, Expedia, Ryanair, Aer Lingus and Stena Line, transatlantic and long-haul airlines like American, Norwegian and Qatar;
- TBEX (Travel Bloggers Exchange) Europe, the largest conference and networking event for travel bloggers, online travel journalists and social media-savvy travel professionals, will take place in Killarney in October;
- Tourism Ireland will promote the island of Ireland to approximately 67,000 influential travel professionals in Mainland Europe this autumn at two major trade fairs: IFTM Top Resa in Paris and TTG Incontri in Rimini; and
- World Travel Market takes place again in London, the largest B2B event in the global travel and tourism calendar.
Notes To Editors
Tourism Ireland’s global autumn campaign includes:
- Ireland takes over Saks Fifth Avenue in New York and Beverly Hills
An exciting new partnership with the iconic Saks Fifth Avenue kicks off on 20 September and will run until 5 October. Eye-catching window installations and in-store displays in the Saks Fifth Avenue flagship locations in New York and Beverly Hills will showcase the island of Ireland – including Dublin, Ireland’s Ancient East, Northern Ireland, the Wild Atlantic Way and golf. In addition, a double-page spread all about Ireland will feature in the Saks Fifth Avenue fall fashion catalogue – which reaches customers in stores, through direct mail and via saks.com. Social media activity – via Saks and Tourism Ireland channels – will also promote the island of Ireland and a competition to win a trip to Ireland.
A special in-store event for Saks Fifth Avenue cardholders on 20 September – with Irish music and food – will promote a competition for a trip to Ireland. And the upcoming Christmas catalogue will highlight a luxury trip to Ireland, which may be purchased with points by top customers.
- Online advertising blitz
Digital campaigns will run in the US (from 18 September until the end of November), reaching about 100 million people in our ‘culturally curious’ and ‘social energiser’ audiences. The campaigns feature extensive use of video and other content to motivate and engage potential holidaymakers at the right time and in the right environment. The campaign targeting the ‘culturally curious’ will run on sites like NationalGeographic.com and LonelyPlanet.com, as well as on digital TV. Our campaign targeting younger, ‘social energiser’ holidaymakers will run on various popular lifestyle and travel sites.
And a separate, tactical ad campaign with 28 partners will also kick off on 18 September, on popular websites like TravelZoo, Travel Spike, Dunhill Travel Deals and Shermans Travel – aimed at turning more ‘lookers into bookers’ by presenting attractive Ireland vacation packages to prospective travellers at key booking periods.
In Canada, Tourism Ireland’s online campaign will run until November, reaching almost 1.4 million ‘culturally curious’ travellers in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia; Ireland ads are running on websites like Canada.com, Forbes.com, TheStar.com and CBC.ca. Tactical advertising with key digital platforms like TravelAlerts and Expedia is also under way, helping to drive sales for key travel partners on the island of Ireland and in Canada. And, a campaign on Facebook will run until December, generating more than 4 million impressions through ads and video content.
- Promoting shoulder and off-season travel to Dublin
In the US, the ‘Dublin – A Breath of Fresh air’ campaign will kick off in mid-September and will primarily target our ‘social energiser’ audience. It will include a digital campaign with Aer Lingus, promoting Dublin as an ideal choice for a short break to people living in cities on the east coast of the US where there are direct flights to Dublin. It will also include co-operative advertising with a leading online travel agent on Facebook.
- Publicity spotlight
Tourism Ireland’s publicity programme in the US alone will generate positive coverage for the island of Ireland this year worth more than €100 million in equivalent advertising value. Influential American travel and lifestyle journalists and bloggers have been invited to visit – including four top golf journalists, who are playing a number of golf courses along the Wild Atlantic Way this week. Up to 2 million American travellers will see the northern section of the Wild Atlantic Way in an episode of the PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) TV travel show, Samantha Brown’s Places to Love, later this year; filming took place here in August at various locations in Donegal and Sligo. Tourism Ireland will highlight the island of Ireland to influential editors and journalists at Visit Europe Media Exchange (VEMEX) in Los Angeles and New York; and will attend Travel Classics West (writers’ conference for editors and journalists from a wide range of high profile publications) in Arizona, in November.
Later this week, celebrity chef Clodagh McKenna will bring a “taste of Ireland” to Toronto. Tourism Ireland has invited influential Canadian food bloggers and journalists to attend a fun cookery demo with Clodagh and Justin O’Connor, executive chef at the Guinness Storehouse – helping to spread the word about the superb culinary experience on offer right around the island of Ireland.
- Social media and email marketing
Over 1.2 million people are following Tourism Ireland on Facebook in the US and over 106,000 in Canada to learn more about the island of Ireland. Tourism Ireland also has about 67,000 Twitter followers in the US (@GotoIrelandUS) and over 30,000 followers in Canada (@GoToIrelandCA); and is also targeting younger travellers through Pinterest, with more than 10,000 followers on the photo-sharing site. Tourism Ireland’s email marketing will reach about 170,000 Americans and more than 40,000 Canadians each week this autumn, highlighting partner offers and compelling reasons to visit.
- Ireland Week in Los Angeles
Tourism Ireland will support Ireland Week, a new trade and cultural showcase which will take place in Los Angeles, in October.
- Travel trade and media blitz in San Diego, San Francisco and Dallas
Tourism Ireland and partners will target hundreds of travel agents in the key cities of San Diego, San Francisco and Dallas (in November), as part of its final ‘Jump into Ireland’ event of 2017. The busy schedule will include a B2B event in each city showcasing the regions of Ireland to the travel agents, via a 60-minute travel TV show format, and will also include opportunities for media networking – providing an excellent opportunity for the participating Irish companies to promote and sell their product to the key decision-makers they meet in the various cities.
- Promoting to the influential travel trade
A Canadian Expo will take place in the Slieve Russell Hotel in Ballyconnell, in October, when Irish tourism enterprises will have the opportunity to meet and do business with about 20 carefully selected, top-producing Canadian travel agents. In the US and Canada, Tourism Ireland’s autumn series of webinars (online training seminars for the travel trade) will cover a range of themes about the island of Ireland.
- Co-operation with airlines, tour operators and online travel agents
Online campaigns with various airlines serving the island of Ireland from the United States – including Aer Lingus, American and Norwegian – are either under way or in the pipeline. A digital campaign with Norwegian will launch immediately after Labor Day (today, 4 September), to drive business in the fall and winter and to kick-start business for 2018.
Tourism Ireland is also working with leading American tour operators this autumn – including CIE Tours International, Collette Vacations and Great Value Vacations.
And in Canada, Tourism Ireland will partner with airlines that fly to the island of Ireland from Canadian gateways (including Air Canada, Aer Lingus and Air Transat), as well as with leading tour operators (like Royal Irish Tours, Globus, Trafalgar, Insight Vacations, CIE Tours International and Collette).
- Growing business tourism
Tourism Ireland will continue to build awareness of the island of Ireland as a world-class destination for association conferences and incentive travel, this autumn. Activity will include a significant presence – with 34 partners from Ireland – at IMEX America in October, a three-day show in Las Vegas which targets decision-makers in the lucrative MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and events) sector.
Tourism Ireland, in conjunction with Irish Horizons (destination management company), has invited 20 top Canadian business tourism buyers to visit Ireland later this month. Their itinerary will include Dublin, Killarney and Dromoland Castle.
- Welsh singer Aled Jones highlights Ireland to 7.5 million ‘culturally curious’
Tourism Ireland is teaming up with Welsh singer and TV presenter Aled Jones this autumn, to produce a series of videos for Classic FM and Smooth Radio. The films – highlighting Dublin, Belfast, the Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland’s Ancient East and the Causeway Coastal Route – will be unveiled from 18 September and will reach about 7.5 million ‘culturally curious’ holidaymakers across Britain, through the Facebook pages of both radio stations, as well as through a bespoke section on classicfm.com and smoothradio.com.
- Kodaline star in new campaign with Vevo to highlight Dublin to up to 10 million ‘social energisers’
Kodaline will star in a new online video campaign with Vevo, a leading music and entertainment platform, highlighting Dublin for a great city break to up to 10 million ‘social energisers’. The campaign kicks off in early September. A similar campaign for Belfast will be announced over the coming weeks.
- Targeting 1.4 million Daily Telegraph readers
Two articles about the island of Ireland will appear in the Saturday travel section of The Daily Telegraph this autumn, reaching about 1.4 million readers; the first article will describe some of the unique food experiences of Northern Ireland and the second will be a personal reflection on Dublin by author Neil Hegarty. This partnership with The Daily Telegraph also includes a specially-created ‘Indulge in Ireland’ hub on The Telegraph website, with lots of articles which are being promoted via online advertising.
- Online advertising blitz
Tourism Ireland will reach almost 9.5 million ‘culturally curious’ holidaymakers online this autumn – through ads on Facebook and with a 30-second video promoting the island of Ireland on websites like telegraph.co.uk, dailymail.co.uk, independent.co.uk and msn.com. Tourism Ireland will also reach about 6.7 million ‘social energisers’ between now and the end of the year – through advertising on Facebook and Instagram.
- Promoting shoulder and off-season travel to Dublin
In Britain, the ‘Dublin – A Breath of Fresh air’ campaign will include co-operative activity with a range of partners, including Aer Lingus, Classic FM and Expedia, to reach prospective visitors in London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Activity on Classic FM will include actor and presenter Alexander Armstrong chatting about Dublin.
- Promoting shoulder and off-season travel to Ireland’s Ancient East
Campaigns with key partners are under way to promote travel to Ireland’s Ancient East this autumn. Activity includes a campaign with Stena Line and Rosslare Europort – supported by Wexford, Waterford and Kilkenny County Councils – with radio ads reaching some 1.73 million listeners in London, South West England and South Wales, on Classic FM, Smooth Radio and regional radio stations; online ads on popular websites, reaching millions more British travellers; and ads on Facebook.
A campaign with Expedia is running until mid-September and includes online ads on the Expedia site and a homepage ‘takeover’ – all linking to a special Ireland’s Ancient East webpage featuring inspirational ideas and travel deals. And a third campaign with TripAdvisor is also highlighting Ireland’s Ancient East – via online ads on the TripAdvisor website, email marketing and social media.
- Publicity spotlight
Tourism Ireland’s publicity drive continues this autumn, targeting national and regional print, broadcast and online media throughout Britain, with lots of positive stories about the island of Ireland. Influential British journalists and bloggers have been invited to experience events like the Dublin Theatre Festival and Wexford Festival Opera. Journalists from national British titles will fly here on the inaugural Stobart Air flight from Southend to Dublin, at the end of October. And journalists from popular titles like the Sunday Express and The Sunday Times will visit, and then write about, various locations along the Wild Atlantic Way.
- Social media and email marketing
Tourism Ireland will continue to deliver relevant and timely information about the island of Ireland this autumn, via social media and email marketing. The organisation has about 459,000 Facebook fans and more than 74,000 Twitter followers in Britain alone (@GoToIrelandGB). And email marketing will target about 160,000 potential holidaymakers around Britain each week, featuring great offers from industry partners – highlighting both value and ease of access – and encouraging them to come and visit this autumn or winter and perhaps sample some of the many events taking place right around the island.
- Co-operating with key travel partners
A busy programme of co-operative campaigns with air and sea carriers – including Aer Lingus, Flybe, easyJet, Stobart Air, Stena Line and P&O – is either under way or in the pipeline for this autumn. And co-operative activity will also take place with leading British tour operators, including Newmarket Holidays, Scenic Car Tours, Greatdays Travel Group and Great Rail Journeys. A joint campaign with SuperBreak (short break specialist) in the Guardian will include articles and reader offers for Ireland; Ireland will also be the ‘destination of the month’ in all SuperBreak promotional activity in November.
- Promoting to the influential travel trade
About 25 influential British coach and group tour operators will take part in a networking event in Belfast, a familiarisation visit to the Causeway Coast and Donegal and a workshop in Westport, in September, where they will meet with Irish tourism enterprises and negotiate for their 2018 programmes. And 20 top clients of The Albatross Group (leading tour operator) will visit the northern section of the Wild Atlantic Way in October, supported by Tourism Ireland.
- World Travel Market
Tourism Ireland will mount a significant presence at World Travel Market (WTM) in London, in November. This year, about 70 tourism companies from the island of Ireland will attend WTM, the largest B2B event in the global tourism calendar.
- Growing business tourism
Corporate meetings and association conferences continue to be the focus of Tourism Ireland’s business tourism promotions in Britain this autumn. In November, five regional convention bureaux will meet 55 British conference organisers, at a networking event in London. And ‘Ireland Meets the West End’ in London, an important B2B event, will take place again this year, also in November, with about 38 companies from Ireland due to attend.
- ‘Teeing up’ our world-class golf
This week, our world-class golf will be highlighted to 50 of the top clients of Golfbreaks (leading online golf tour operator) at an Ireland golf day, at Foxhills Club and Resort in Surrey. Co-operative campaigns with two leading online golf tour operators, Your Golf Travel and Golfbreaks continue this autumn. And online ads will run on key golf websites between now and the end of the year.
- Tourism Ireland is partnering with TripAdvisor this autumn, to highlight Ireland’s Ancient East across Mainland Europe and in Britain. The campaign in already under way in Denmark and Sweden; will kick off in Belgium and the Netherlands next week; and launches in mid-September in France, Spain and Italy.
- A digital campaign with the Guinness Storehouse will roll out in Mainland Europe from mid-September.
Activity in individual European markets will include:
AUSTRALIA AND DEVELOPING MARKETS
- The island of Ireland will feature on HolidayCheck (a popular German travel website, similar to TripAdvisor) and on Away, the travel magazine section of HolidayCheck, this autumn. Nine different articles will highlight Dublin, the regions of Ireland, food and screen tourism; and email marketing about Ireland will reach approximately 300,000 HolidayCheck subscribers.
- A campaign with VAUDE, a leading outdoor clothing company, will launch in September. Two videos – filmed in Sligo last November – will showcase surfing, stand up paddle boarding and mountain-biking on the Wild Atlantic Way; these will be shared on VAUDE’s Facebook page (112,000 fans) and on a bespoke section on the Tourism Ireland website, Ireland.com. The campaign will also include billboard ads around Germany, as well as ads at trade fairs and in VAUDE stores.
- The new catalogue of German bicycle company CUBE Bikes will feature six pages about mountain-biking, surfing and fat bike cycling in Sligo. The catalogue will be distributed from mid-September to over 300,000 outdoor enthusiasts in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. And online videos, filmed in Sligo this summer, will feature on the CUBE Bikes website.
- A promotion with Kerrygold and Bord Bia, to showcase Ireland’s wonderful culinary experience to German ‘foodies’, will roll out in October and November. Irish-Austrian chef, Shane McMahon, who owns Shane’s Restaurant in Munich and is a brand ambassador for Kerrygold, filmed nine different videos in counties Cork and Limerick, earlier this year. He was accompanied by a popular German food blogger, called Maja Nett. In the videos, viewers will see the pair preparing traditional Irish dishes with top chefs, using local produce. Their busy itinerary included Ballymaloe Cookery School and the English Market in Cork, as well as Limerick city (where Shane is originally from) and the 1826 Adare restaurant. The videos will run on German online food magazines, such as World of Food (which gets about 2 million visitors per month) and Genießen und Reisen (about 30,000 visits per month). They will be highlighted on a special food section on Tourism Ireland’s website and on the Kerrygold website.
- A new Wild Atlantic Way video, created by freelance video journalist Lucas Dominicus, will be promoted by Tourism Ireland this autumn. Click here to view.
- In Germany, the ‘Dublin – A Breath of Fresh air’ campaign will include activity with Aer Lingus and Expedia.
- Tourism Ireland will partner with Ryanair to promote its new flights from Berlin to Kerry; and will partner with Eurowings to highlight flights from Düsseldorf and Köln to Dublin.
- Up to 10 million people will see a five-minute feature all about Dublin in a travel show called Hin & weg, which airs on Deutsche Welle (Germany’s public international broadcaster), on 23 September.
- Journalists from Blinker angling magazine) will visit Boyle in September.
- Approximately 29 Irish tourism partners will travel to Offenbach in October, to take part in Tourism Ireland’s B2B workshop and networking event with key German, Swiss and Austrian tour operators.
- Sales calls with Huntington Castle will promote our beautiful gardens and Ireland’s Ancient East to 11 t(our operators in northern Germany, in September.
- Tourism Ireland will participate in MICE BOAT 2017 – a MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and events) promotion with a difference which takes place on the high seas, sailing from Rostock to Copenhagen and on to Amsterdam. The four-day programme includes one-to-one appointments, presentations and networking events, providing a superb opportunity to highlight the island of Ireland for business tourism to the 50 German MICE operators on board.
- Two ‘Meet in Ireland’ events will also take place, in Hamburg at the end of September and in Köln in mid-December, with 26 German MICE operators due to attend each event.
- Tourism Ireland and DERTOUR Golfclub will promote our world-class golf at three different events in German golf clubs, meeting up to 20 important influencers (including golf club captains, pros and managers) at each event.
- Tourism Ireland will work with Konbini (culture, arts and news website), promoting city breaks in Dublin and Belfast to our ‘social energiser’ audience, via Facebook, Twitter and email marketing.
- A series of ‘teaser’ five-second videos highlighting Dublin and Belfast will go live on 18 September.
- In France, the ‘Dublin – A Breath of Fresh air’ campaign will include activity with Aer Lingus, Transavia and Expedia.
- Tourism Ireland will also partner with Brittany Ferries on a ‘book early for 2018’ campaign.
- Influential French travel journalists will visit Ireland’s Ancient East in September, in conjunction with Irish Ferries.
- Eight Irish tourism companies will join Tourism Ireland for this year’s IFTM (International French Travel Market), the largest travel trade exhibition in France.
- A business tourism workshop will take place in the Irish Embassy in Paris in November; and a business tourism sales blitz will target MICE buyers in the cities of Paris, Strasbourg, Toulouse and Bordeaux.
- Tourism Ireland and partners will attend ILTM (International Luxury Travel Market) in Cannes, in December, meeting influential travel agents and decision-makers working in the luxury travel sector around the world.
- Spain is an important market for late season travel, with 22% of all Spanish visitors to Ireland arriving in the off-season or Q4. Tourism Ireland’s digital campaign will promote weekend breaks to Dublin (including NYF Dublin) and Belfast to approximately 1.5 million Spanish ‘social energisers’. It kicks off in October and will run for six weeks.
- A joint online campaign with Aer Lingus will go live in mid-September, promoting weekend breaks to Dublin. Tourism Ireland will also work with Iberia Express, in October – with radio and online ads highlighting good value fares for Spanish travellers to Dublin.
- Co-operative activity with online travel agents (OTAs) will include a TV, outdoor and online campaign with Logitravel (the third largest OTA in Spain) in Madrid and Barcelona; and an online campaign with Rumbo.
- Tourism Ireland will team up once again with one of the biggest brands in Spain – the tour operating arm of Spanish retailing giant El Corte Inglés – promoting winter breaks to millions of late-season Spanish travellers, via billboard ads in Madrid metro stations, as well as online and in-store advertising.
- Travel agents from Viaje El Corte Inglés will visit Ireland’s Ancient East later this month.
- In Italy, the ‘Dublin – A Breath of Fresh air’ campaign will include co-operative promotions with Aer Lingus and Expedia.
- A digital video campaign for Dublin and Belfast will reach more than 14 million Italians via Facebook and other online platforms; the campaign also includes two competitions on the Italian version of Ireland.com to win a city break in Belfast and Dublin.
- Co-operative activity with key online travel agents Logitravel and Albatravel, promoting great value offers for Dublin and Belfast directly to consumers, as well as to travel agents around Italy.
- An episode of the most popular travel programme in Italy, Kilimangiaro, which airs on the national TV station (RAI Tre) and has approximately 1.2 million viewers, will highlight Ireland’s Ancient East. Filming took place here in August at places like the Hill of Tara, the Irish National Stud, Highbank Orchards and Distillery, Waterford’s Copper Coast, Brownshill Dolmen and Glendalough.
- Influential Italian journalists will visit Dublin, in October, in conjunction with The Leading Hotels of the World; the journalists are from media outlets like VanityFair.it, GQ magazine, Corriere della Sera (national newspaper) and The Blonde Salad (blog).
- Tourism Ireland, together with seven tourism industry partners, will attend TTG Incontri, an important trade fair in Rimini which was attended by about 37,000 Italian travel professionals in 2016.
- Northern Europe
- In the Netherlands and Belgium, the ‘Dublin – A Breath of Fresh air’ campaign will include online ads on popular travel and news websites, as well as ads on Facebook and co-operative activity with Aer Lingus.
- A campaign highlighting Cork will be rolled out during September. Five online influencers visited Cork during the summer; their stories will be published this month and will link to Zoover (similar to TripAdvisor). Zoover will also have a dedicated Cork page on its site during September.
- Top Dutch travel and lifestyle journalists will hear all about Ireland at Tourism Ireland’s annual ‘Ierland Press Awards’ in Amsterdam, in November.
- Tourism partners from the island of Ireland will join Tourism Ireland’s networking events in Brussels and Amsterdam, in November – doing business for 2018 with leading Belgian and Dutch tour operators and travel agents.
- Representatives of Belco Travel & Tours (Belgian tour operator) will visit Donegal in October.
- Key conference and meetings buyers in Belgium will hear all about our world-class business tourism offering at a networking event in Brussels, in October.
- Tourism Ireland leads sales mission to the UAE and India
Ten tourism companies from the island of Ireland will join Tourism Ireland’s sales mission to the United Arab Emirates and India at the end of September. The sales mission will target top travel agents, tour operators and travel journalists – through workshops and networking events – in the cities of Abu Dhabi and Dubai (in the UAE) and Mumbai and New Delhi (in India).
- Advertising in Australia to capitalise on ‘early bird’ booking season
Tourism Ireland in Australia will roll out an online and print advertising campaign from the end of September, to capitalise on the important ‘early bird’ booking season – when all the major airlines promote their special fares. The campaign will run until the beginning of December, keeping the island of Ireland ‘front of mind’ for Australians considering a trip to Europe in 2018.
- Publicity spotlight
The Weekend Today show, a hugely popular breakfast TV show which airs on the Nine Network in Australia to about 1.1 million viewers, will broadcast live from Dublin later this month. The broadcast will include a partnership with Globus (tour operator) – with two Globus offers set to appear on screen, encouraging viewers to book a trip to Ireland; and a link on the Nine Network website will direct people to Tourism Ireland’s website, Ireland.com. Also in Australia, 700,000 people will see images of Lisdoonvarna and Co Clare in an episode of The Living Room on 15 September. The Living Room is a popular TV show on Network Ten, presented by Dr Chris Brown, a well-known Australian TV personality and veterinarian.
In China, Morning Call, a popular TV-style talk show which airs on one of the country’s most influential online video platforms, Youku.com (similar to YouTube) will highlight the island of Ireland to approximately 10 million people, during October. The show is presented by Chinese celebrity and musician Mr Gao Xiaosong, who is in Ireland right now. He’s visiting places like the Dublin Writers Museum, the Book of Kells and Dublin Castle and is also meeting with President Michael D Higgins in Áras an Uachtaráin today (4 September). Mr Gao will chat about the island of Ireland during three 30-minute episodes – covering Ireland’s history, literature, traditional music, food, Game of Thrones filming locations, Dublin and Belfast. The Ireland episodes will also be available on Mr Gao’s radio station in The Himalayas, which has over half a million listeners.
Four influential Indian travel journalists will travel here this autumn, visiting Ireland’s Ancient East, the Wild Atlantic Way, Dublin, various Game of Thrones locations in Northern Ireland and the Giant's Causeway. And two journalists from the Middle East will attend the Dublin Arabic Film Festival, in October.
- Co-operation with key travel partners
In Australia, Tourism Ireland will partner with Qatar Airlines to highlight ease of access to Ireland, via Qatar’s new Doha to Dublin flight; the campaign will include online, outdoor and radio advertising.
A campaign with Expedia Australia kicked off last week (28 August) and will run until 24 September, targeting our ‘culturally curious’ audience; online ads, Facebook posts and an Ireland ad in Expedia’s weekly email marketing to almost 900,000 subscribers are directing people to a dedicated Ireland page on the Expedia Australia website.
And, also in Australia, a campaign with International Traveller (magazine) is going live this week and will run for three months. It will include a dedicated Ireland section on the International Traveller website with six articles about the island of Ireland, email marketing to the International Traveller database of 32,000 Australian travellers and ads on Facebook.
Tourism Ireland in China and India will also partner with Qatar Airlines: in China a social media campaign is expected to reach more than 500,000 people and, in India, activity with Qatar will reach over 1.2 million people through full-page ads in popular travel magazines Outlook Traveller and National Geographic Traveller, as well as online ads on India’s top news and travel websites and on LinkedIn.
In India, Tourism Ireland and Make My Trip, a leading online travel agent, will roll out a joint digital campaign to promote the Make My Trip packages to Ireland; the campaign is expected to reach more than 3.5 million people.
In the Middle East, Tourism Ireland and Al Naboodah Travel will partner on a digital campaign, promoting the new Al Naboodah Travel programmes to Ireland to about 700,000 people. And Tourism Ireland and Dnata Travel will also roll out a campaign in October, to increase awareness of, and drive sales to, the island of Ireland among their clients; activity will include in-store screen displays promoting Ireland packages, social media activity, as well as online and radio ads.
- Promoting to the influential travel trade
Eighteen (18) Australian travel agents will visit Dublin later this month; the agents, who took part in a Qatar Airways competition to win a place on this trip, will visit EPIC Ireland and the Irish Whiskey Museum and will also enjoy a Viking Splash Tour.
In China, Tourism Ireland and Finnair will host three seminars for leading tour operators in Chongqing, to promote winter packages and tours to Ireland. A workshop in Shenzhen will highlight Ireland to tour operators in that city.
Tourism Ireland will also promote the island of Ireland to travel agents and journalists in Japan, at the EU Tourism Media and Trade Workshop in Tokyo in October. Fifteen EU member countries will participate in the workshop, which is a joint collaboration between embassies, national tourist boards and JATA (Japan Association of Travel Agents).
- A taste of Ireland at ‘Flavours’ workshop in London
Tourism Ireland’s annual ‘Flavours of Ireland’ event takes place in London, at the beginning of October. The B2B tourism workshop, which aims to grow our share of the huge worldwide tourism market, will see about 100 representatives of the top UK inbound tour operators come together to do business with 40 tourism organisations from Ireland.