Top Australian travel writer describes Northern Ireland as “the hottest golf destination in the world right now!”
An article describing Northern Ireland as “the hottest golf destination in the world right now” appeared last weekend in Escape
– one of Australia’s biggest travel magazines, which is read by over 5.6 million readers.
Tourism Ireland and Tourism NI invited top travel writer John Rolfe to visit Northern Ireland earlier this year, to play some of our best golf courses. The article which appeared over the weekend was titled ‘Emerald Greens’ and its opening line said “there is no hotter golf destination in the world right now than Northern Ireland”
. It described the links at Royal County Down, Royal Portrush and Portstewart and added “but superb golf is merely one more reason to come”
Our food, scenery, accommodation and visitor attractions all feature in the piece which also gives tips on where to stay, how to travel around and even how to deal with the weather!
Promoting golf in Northern Ireland is a major focus for Tourism Ireland in Australia and in other important markets around the world. Tourism Ireland is taking every opportunity to highlight the 2019 Open Championship at Royal Portrush – the ultimate platform to put golf in Northern Ireland in the global spotlight, showcasing the great experience we offer golfers around the world.
Sofia Hansson, Tourism Ireland’s Manager for Australia, said: “We were delighted to invite John Rolfe to visit Northern Ireland earlier this year, to experience our top courses for himself and to hear about the preparations for The Open Championship at Royal Portrush in 2019. Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way this year, to highlight our world-class golf and to encourage more Australians to consider a golfing holiday in Northern Ireland. Our message is that Northern Ireland offers overseas golfers the complete package – with some of the very best golf in the world, stunning scenery and the warmest of welcomes.”
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting Northern Ireland and the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is responsible for in excess of 5.2% of GDP in Northern Ireland and supports 61,300 jobs.
- In 2016, we welcomed a record 2.1 million overseas visitors to Northern Ireland, delivering revenue of over £543 million.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted about 19.37 million visitors in 2016.