Tourism Ireland teams up with Visit Belfast and Ryanair to grow German tourist numbers
Tourism Ireland has unveiled two new campaigns to promote the direct service to Belfast from Berlin and to grow tourist numbers from Germany to Northern Ireland this year. Both campaigns are highlighting attractive fares on Ryanair flights from Berlin, as well as some of the many great reasons to enjoy a short break or holiday here – including Titanic Belfast, the Causeway Coastal Route and our Game of Thrones filming locations.
Working closely with airlines, airports and other key tourism partners to build demand for flights is a key priority for Tourism Ireland. A new campaign in conjunction with Visit Belfast will reach more than 1.5 million people living in and around Berlin this month and will include:
- a Belfast video playing in 177 locations around Berlin, including the main train station and in shopping centres, reaching about 1.3 million Berliners;
- advertising on Facebook;
- online ads on the website of Opodo (leading online travel agency), as well as a dedicated section on the Opodo site featuring Belfast, the Causeway Coastal Route and Game of Thrones filming locations;
- email marketing, targeting 150,000 German travellers on the Opodo database; and
- extensive promotion via Tourism Ireland’s own channels, including social media platforms Facebook (almost 288,000 fans) and Twitter, as well as email marketing to the Tourism Ireland database.
The second campaign, in partnership with Ryanair, is also under way this month and includes ads on popular radio stations in Berlin, reaching about 2 million listeners; as well as online ads on the German version of Ryanair.com.
Germany is an important market for tourism to Northern Ireland and Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to grow visitor numbers from Germany in 2017.
Zoë Redmond, Tourism Ireland’s Manager Central Europe, said: “We are delighted to partner with Visit Belfast and Ryanair in these campaigns, to highlight ease of access from Berlin to Belfast and to help grow German visitor numbers this year. As an island, the importance of convenient, direct, non-stop flights cannot be overstated – they are absolutely critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism. Tourism Ireland is rolling out an extensive programme of promotional activity in Germany throughout 2017. We are working closely with our tourism partners to continue to grow German visitor numbers to Northern Ireland.”
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting Northern Ireland and the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is responsible for in excess of 5.2% of GDP in Northern Ireland and supports approximately 43,000 jobs.
- In 2016, we welcomed approximately 2.1 million overseas visitors to Northern Ireland, delivering revenue of about £527 million.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted about 19.37 million visitors in 2016.