This is Tourism Ireland’s corporate website. 
If you are looking for information about holidays on the island of Ireland, please visit

12 Dec 2016

Tourism Ireland welcomes +10% growth in overseas visitors and +9% growth in overseas visitor spend for January-September 2016

Commenting on today’s CSO figures for the nine months to the end of September 2016, Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, said: “Today’s CSO figures confirm that overseas visitors to Ireland grew by +10% during January-September, or almost 600,000 extra visitors. And, more importantly for the Irish economy, revenue from overseas visitors to Ireland grew by +9% during this period, an additional €304 million compared with the first nine months of 2015. Within the total number of overseas visitors to Ireland, holiday visitors grew by +9% in the first nine months of 2016 – that’s 287,000 additional holiday visitors. I am pleased to see holidaymaker growth from our main market areas of Great Britain (+18%), Mainland Europe (+6%) and North America (+7%). 

Niall Gibbons continued: “This was a strong performance and reflects the sentiment we’ve been hearing from our tourism industry partners, both overseas and here at home. We’ve just launched our marketing plans for 2017, which will see us build on this year’s growth to deliver €5.7 billion (+4.5%) in overseas tourism revenue to the economies north and south, by welcoming 10.6 million visitors.”

Notes To Editors

  • Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
  • Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 220,000 people.
  • In 2015, we welcomed 9.5 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of €4.9 billion.
  • Tourism Ireland’s international website is, 29 market sites available in 11 language versions around the world, which attracted more than 16.6 million visitors in 2015.