Thirty-three (33) tourism enterprises from around the island of Ireland attended IMEX America, which took place this week in Las Vegas.
Now in its fifth year, IMEX (International Meetings and Events Exhibition) America is an important event targeting decision-makers in the lucrative MICE (meetings, incentive, conferences and events) industry. Almost 3,000 buyers from North America, and elsewhere around the world, are attending the three-day show – which provides valuable business and networking opportunities for the participating tourism operators rom Ireland.
Alison Metcalfe, Tourism Ireland’s head of North America, said that there was very good interest in the island of Ireland as a conference and incentive destination at this year’s IMEX America. She said: “IMEX America is an important platform for Tourism Ireland and our partners to showcase the world-class conference, meetings and incentive facilities on offer right around the island of Ireland. Overall, business sentiment at the show is very positive, with interest in Ireland for conferences and incentive travel remaining high and advance business for 2016 looking good.”
Tourism Ireland in North America has had a busy programme of promotions throughout 2015, to continue to build awareness of the island of Ireland as a world-class destination for association conferences and incentive travel – through a programme which included direct marketing, B2B events and familiarisation visits for decision-makers working in the MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and events) sector. Business tourism is the most lucrative form of tourism, with visitors travelling here for business purposes spending about 2.5 times more than the average visitor.
Edele O’Reilly, The Gibson Hotel (right), with Lucy Darby, Clearwater Events, at IMEX America in Las Vegas.
Notes To Editors
- Meet in Ireland is the official MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and events) brand for the island of Ireland. It comprises three tourism authorities: Fáilte Ireland, Tourism Ireland and Tourism Northern Ireland, who work in partnership to promote the island of Ireland as a leading conference and meeting destination.
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
- In 2014, we welcomed 8.4 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of €4.1 billion.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.Ireland.com, available in ten different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world. In 2014, Ireland.com attracted about 14.25 million visitors.