Tourism Ireland’s website wins three times at W³ Awards in New York
Tourism Ireland’s global marketing website, Ireland.com, scooped three awards at the recent W³ Awards in New York, which recognise creative excellence on the web.
The W³ Awards, now in their ninth year, are extremely well regarded in the United States (similar to the Webby Awards), attracting more than 4,000 entries this year. The judging panel – the Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts – honours outstanding websites, web marketing, web video, mobile sites/apps and social content created worldwide.
Tourism Ireland picked up the following awards:
- gold for its Wild Atlantic Way website design
- silver for visual appeal of its Wild Atlantic Way website
- and a silver for its St Patrick’s Day campaign, including social content and promotion
Tourism Ireland launched Ireland.com, its new international website for tourism to the island of Ireland, at the beginning of 2013. The site was completely redeveloped to deliver a transformed web experience for prospective holidaymakers overseas. Since then, Tourism Ireland has rolled out 28 sites around the world and in nine different language versions. Development has included a responsive approach to mobile devices, global campaign functionality, a trip-planning tool, as well as an ongoing programme of content marketing.
Brian Harte, Tourism Ireland’s head of customer engagement and emarketing, said:
“We are very proud that Ireland.com has been recognised at the W³ awards. To win not one, but three, awards is fantastic and a reflection of the work we have put in to developing and leveraging Ireland.com over the past two years. Tourism Ireland’s job is to inspire people around the world to come and visit the island of Ireland, so our online presence is absolutely critical in communicating with potential holidaymakers everywhere. These awards acknowledge that the site is up there with the best and we are confident that it will continue to inform and inspire potential visitors to choose the island of Ireland, showcasing our superb tourism offering and the many things to see and do on a holiday here.
“Tourism Ireland strives to be at the cutting edge of digital marketing and we have worked hard to strengthen our online presence. We are constantly looking at innovative and engaging ways of reaching potential holidaymakers, really pushing the boundaries of creativity to help the island of Ireland stand out from other destinations in a very crowded marketplace. Given the huge part that the web now plays in peoples’ research, planning and choice of holiday destination, it is essential that our website is as good as, or better than, that of our competitors.''
Notes To Editors
- Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
- Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
- By the end of 2014, we will have welcomed an estimated 8.6 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of about €4.26 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
- Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, available in ten different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.