Members of the Irish community living in Canada were invited by Tourism Ireland to a special ‘Gathering’ event in Toronto recently, where they heard all about the upcoming Power Clan Gathering, which will take place in Dunhill, Co Waterford, this June. Dr Wally Kirwin, a member of the steering group organising the Power Clan Gathering, travelled to Canada, to highlight the event to people living in Canada with a link to the popular Waterford family name, Power.
The Power Clan Gathering, part of The Gathering Ireland initiative, will take place over five days (31 May-4 June) and will see people from around the globe with a link to the famous Waterford family name ‘Power’ return to the home of their ancestors, to take part in a number of fun events to explore and celebrate their shared culture and heritage. Guests at the event in Toronto included some leading Canadian journalists – including Mike Power, a publisher with Sun Media, the largest newspaper publishing company in Canada.
Jayne Shackleford, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Canada, said: “Tourism Ireland was delighted to support this event, highlighting the Power Clan Gathering in Waterford to the Diaspora and influential media here in Canada. The Gathering Ireland 2013, and the many festivals and events taking place right around Ireland, is a major focus for Tourism Ireland in Canada this year. With just under five million Canadians claiming Irish ancestral links or affiliations with the island of Ireland, we are actively reaching out to the Diaspora this year, inviting them to visit Ireland, learn more about their heritage and explore the places their ancestors came from. We are also calling on expatriates and those with an affinity for Ireland to get involved and organise their own ‘Gathering’ events in Ireland this year. Our message to the Diaspora in Canada, and throughout the world, is that there has never been a better year to visit Ireland, to trace their ancestry and learn more about their Irish roots.”
Dr Wally Kirwan, the Power Clan Gathering; Máire Dineen, the 2012 Toronto Rose; and Mike Power, Sun Media Canada, at an event in Toronto to highlight the upcoming Power Clan Gathering in Dunhill, Co Waterford.
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.