Tourism Ireland has joined forces with Canadian film company, Phase 4 Films, for a brand new promotion offering Canadians the chance to win a ‘Viking Adventure in Ireland’. The promotion has been timed to coincide with the release on DVD and Blu-ray of Vikings – the Emmy-nominated, Canadian-Irish drama series which has been airing on the HISTORY channel in Canada. It will run from now through to the Christmas period, in a bid to woo to late-season Canadian holidaymakers to Ireland.
Vikings was filmed on location in Ireland and its epic scenes feature fabulous footage shot in Wicklow and Dublin. This new campaign aims to showcase Ireland’s Viking heritage – in particular highlighting Dublin and the South East – as well as our spectacular scenery.
It includes Tourism Ireland’s 30-second Ireland ad, which autoplays on disc one of each box set; as well as promotional flyers in each box set, encouraging fans of the series to visit Tourism Ireland’s website, Ireland.com, where the competition is highlighted. The prize up for grabs is a Viking-themed trip for two, which will include the chance to visit locations where the series was filmed and to experience Ireland’s Viking history at first-hand, with stays in Dublin and the South East. The promotion also includes in-store posters in over 100 HMV stores around Canada; an extensive TV campaign; as well as radio ads on top stations in Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver which will reach an estimated 1.4 million listeners. Tourism Ireland is also highlighting the promotion through social media, including Facebook (the organisation has almost 35,000 friends on Facebook in Canada alone) and Twitter (almost 5,000 followers in Canada).
Jayne Shackleford, Tourism Ireland Canada, said: “We are delighted to have partnered with Phase 4 Films for this promotion with a difference, which aims to entice Canadians to consider Ireland for a late-season vacation or short break. It is a really good opportunity to showcase Ireland’s fascinating Viking heritage, as well as the landscapes which help to make Ireland such a wonderful film location.”
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• The Gathering Ireland 2013 is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has had an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013 around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.