Tourism operators from around the island of Ireland travelled to Canada to participate in Tourism Ireland’s latest ‘Jump into Ireland’ sales blitz, which took in the cities of Montreal and Ottawa. The ‘Jump’ sales blitzes are targeting influential travel agents and media in nine key cities in the all-important North American market throughout 2013.
The sales blitz involved a busy schedule, with interactive ‘virtual’ tours of Ireland and presentations to travel agents, as well as networking with influential travel journalists – providing an excellent platform for the participating Irish tourism companies to showcase their product to the key decision-makers they met in the two cities. It was also a fantastic opportunity for Tourism Ireland to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013, Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture and the many festivals and events taking place here this year. Similar sales blitzes will take place in Phoenix and Denver this week; and in San Diego and Santa Barbara in October.
Jayne Shackleford, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Canada, said: “This type of event – where we talk directly to influential travel agents and media – provides an excellent platform to spread the word about all the great things to see and do around the island of Ireland and to raise awareness about the exciting programme of events taking place this year for The Gathering Ireland and Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture.”
Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotional activity in place to target the travel trade in the United States and Canada right throughout 2013 – including familiarisation visits to Ireland, workshops, travel agent training and webinars, as well as a series of sales blitzes.
Susan Heffernan, Golf Vacations Ireland; Tony Keane, IrishTourism.com; Paula Cogan, River Lee Hotel; Róisín Wallace, Manor House Hotels and Irish Country Hotels; Don Wilmont, Causeway Coast & Glens; Jayne Shackleford, Tourism Ireland; Alexandre Bergeron, Transat Holidays; Deirdre McGlone, Harvey’s Point Hotel; Siobhán Byrne Learat, Adams and Butler; and Michelle Grenier, Trafalgar Tours, during Tourism Ireland’s ‘Jump into Ireland’ event in Montreal.
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.