A number of tourism organisations from around the island of Ireland travelled to Utrecht in the Netherlands this week to join Tourism Ireland for Vakantiebeurs 2013, the largest holiday promotion in the Netherlands.
Attracting over 126,000 visitors each year, including leading travel writers, tour operators and travel agents, as well as many thousands of Dutch holidaymakers looking for ideas and suggestions for their next short break or holiday destination, the six-day event provides a valuable opportunity for the participating companies to showcase their product and to communicate what is unique about the island of Ireland as a holiday destination. ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ and Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture 2013 are a major focus on the Tourism Ireland stand at this year’s Vakantiebeurs.
Karen van der Horst, Tourism Ireland’s manager for the Netherlands, said: “Tourism Ireland will have a busy programme of promotional activity in the Netherlands throughout 2013, to capitalise on the strong interest here in the island of Ireland and to grow Dutch visitor numbers. Vakantiebeurs is our first major promotion of 2013, providing an excellent opportunity to spread the word about all the great things to see and do around Ireland. It is also a really effective platform for Tourism Ireland to raise awareness about the exciting programme of events taking place this year as part of ‘The Gathering Ireland’ and for Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture 2013. Working with our industry partners, we will continue to promote the distinctiveness of a holiday on the island of Ireland this year, the great value available and the ease of access from the Netherlands. Our message for Dutch holidaymakers is that there has never been a better time to visit.”
Monique Schreven, Carrick Craft; Aisling Murphy, Tourism Ireland; Karen Russell, International House Belfast; Linda Woods, South West Walks Ireland; Helen Murphy, Fota Island Resort; Eef Belckx, Tourism Ireland; and (front) John Hughes, B&B Ireland; and John O’Shea, Irish Caravan & Camping Council – on the Tourism Ireland stand at Vakantiebeurs 2013, the largest holiday promotion in the Netherlands.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com; it appears in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is set to be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.