Tourism Ireland warmly welcomes today’s announcement by Air Canada that its current summer service between Toronto and Dublin will be converted to a year-round service – operated by its new leisure carrier Air Canada rouge, in 2014. Air Canada will operate the route this summer (from 17 May until 30 September) and Air Canada rouge will then commence the year-round service, from 1 May 2014, providing a major boost for both leisure and business tourism from Canada to the island of Ireland.
Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, said: “The announcement of a year-round service from Toronto to Dublin is wonderful news for tourism to the island of Ireland from Canada. We have worked with Air Canada for many years and we look forward to working closely with Air Canada rouge to maximise the promotion of this flight. As an island, direct, convenient and competitive access services are critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism. Tourism Ireland is committed to working with Air Canada rouge, Dublin Airport and other tourism interests, through co-operative marketing, to drive demand for this service."
With more than 4 million Canadians claiming ancestral links or affiliations with the island of Ireland, Canada is an important market for tourism. Tourism Ireland has a busy programme of promotions under way this year, in particular highlighting The Gathering Ireland and Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture 2013.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.