Travel magazine Condé Nast Traveler has unveiled the results of its readers’ choice survey of the world’s friendliest cities, with one Irish city – Kilkenny – making it into the top ten. Readers of the magazine voted Kilkenny the ninth friendliest city in the world; Dublin came in at number 12 and Cork at number 20.
Welcoming the news of Kilkenny’s inclusion in the “friendliest cities” list, Niall Gibbons, Tourism Ireland chief executive, said: “Again and again, our research shows us that the friendliness of our people is one of our unique selling points. It is the warm welcome and the ‘craic’ here that resonates with our overseas visitors and makes Ireland a great choice for a short break or holiday. This accolade by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine gives Tourism Ireland a wonderful platform to continue to market Kilkenny and the island of Ireland throughout the world as a ‘must-see’ destination. With world-class events like the Cat Laughs comedy festival in June and this month’s Kilkenny Arts Festival, as well as its extremely rich heritage and culture, Kilkenny is set to welcome many more overseas visitors this year, coming to experience all that this great city has to offer.”
Kilkenny – voted ninth friendliest city in the world by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler
For further information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.