Tourism Ireland warmly welcomes today’s arrival of the inaugural Flybe flight from Manchester to Waterford. The service will operate four times a week and will certainly provide a welcome boost for tourism from the all-important British market to Waterford and the South East of Ireland.
Working closely with airlines to build demand for routes is a key priority for Tourism Ireland. Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, said: “We look forward to working closely with Flybe to maximise the promotion of this new route. As an island, direct, convenient and competitive access services are critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism. Tourism Ireland is committed to working with Flybe, Waterford Airport and other tourism interests to drive demand for this new service, and all other services to the island of Ireland, and to help maintain our vital network of routes and services.
Niall Gibbons continued: “Great Britain is the largest and most important market for tourism to the island of Ireland and we are rolling out the new “GB – Path to Growth” strategy to restore this market to sustained growth. Tourism Ireland has a strong and comprehensive promotional programme under way right now, which includes a major focus on ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’. We are extending an invitation to the millions of people in GB who have ancestral links with Ireland to ‘come home’ this year.”
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.