Tourism Ireland warmly welcomes the announcement by Germanwings of its new service from Cologne to Ireland West Airport Knock (IWAK), commencing on 31 May 2014. Working closely with airlines to build demand for routes is a key priority for Tourism Ireland and this new service will certainly provide a welcome boost for tourism from the all-important German market to Mayo and the West of Ireland.
Niall Gibbons, chief executive of Tourism Ireland, said: “The introduction of this new Germanwings service is wonderful news and will expand travel options for German holidaymakers wishing to visit Mayo and the West of Ireland in 2014. We look forward to working closely with Germanwings and Ireland West Airport Knock to maximise the promotion of this new route and to help drive demand for the flights. As an island destination, direct, convenient and competitive access services are critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism. Tourism Ireland is committed to working with air and sea carriers, airports and other tourism interests, to drive demand for new services to Ireland and to help maintain our vital network of routes.
“Germany is an extremely important market for tourism to the island of Ireland and 2013 is shaping up to be a record year – with the latest CSO figures, from July to September, showing German visitor numbers up +6.8% on the same three-month period last year.”
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has undertaken an extensive programme of promotions to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013 around the world, working closely with the Gathering project team.