Welcoming today’s announcement of the ‘Croke Park Classic’, Niall Gibbons, Tourism Ireland chief executive, said: “The University of Central Florida v Penn State season opener at Croke Park in August 2014 will provide a further very welcome boost for tourism from North America. It will undoubtedly be a great event for Dublin and will benefit the island as a whole. The GAA is to be congratulated on securing the event.
“Tourism Ireland is already working with Anthony Travel, the official travel company for both colleges, to maximise the tourism benefits from the game, targeting thousands of supporters, alumni associations, family and friends through online marketing including Facebook and other social media. Travel packages, including lots of suggestions for golf, city tours and longer-stay holidays will be promoted to fans in the United States. Sports-related tourism has emerged as a very significant element of the global travel business in recent years and this college football game is another wonderful opportunity to showcase Dublin and Ireland, and more generally the many attractions that the island of Ireland offers as a holiday destination.”
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.