The descendants of Patrick Gavin – born in Claremorris in 1872 – came together in Co Mayo over the weekend for their very own ‘Gathering’. They included Simon Gregory, director of markets for Tourism Ireland. Fifteen of Simon’s relatives flew in from around Great Britain for the weekend, to discover Claremorris, find out about the history of the place and to reconnect with one another.
The group stayed at the McWilliam Park Hotel and visited a number of local attractions, including Hennigan’s Heritage Centre in Swinford and Westport House.
Simon Gregory, Tourism Ireland’s director of markets, said: “I was delighted to invite my relatives to ‘come home’ to Claremorris and Co Mayo, to join this year’s Gathering celebrations. It was a really great opportunity to reconnect with family members and relatives, to meet our Gavin cousins still living in the area and also to play our part in this special year for Irish tourism. Everyone in the group had a wonderful time and all have promised to return again soon.
“The Gathering is a key focal point of all Tourism Ireland’s promotional activity in 2013, particularly in markets with a strong Diaspora connection to Ireland, including the United States, Great Britain, Canada and Australia."
Simon Gregory, Tourism Ireland (centre), at Hennigan’s Heritage Centre, Co Mayo, with fifteen of his relatives who flew in for the Gavin family ‘Gathering’.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.