Several tourism companies from Ireland joined Tourism Ireland in Sydney for a networking ‘Meet in Ireland’ event, which was attended by 50 decision-makers involved in the MICE (meetings, incentive, conferences and events) industry in Australia. The event provided a valuable opportunity for the participating partners – Etihad Airways, Abbey Incentive & Partners, Event Partners and Odyssey International – to network with the influential Australian conference and meeting planners, to showcase their product and to communicate what is unique about the island of Ireland as a conference and business tourism destination. Entertainment was provided by The Celtic Tenors, who were undertaking a promotional tour ‘Down Under’ around the launch of their new album.
Diane, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Australia and New Zealand, said: “We were delighted that so many of the key decision-makers from this sector took the time to come and meet our partners, demonstrating their keen interest in the island of Ireland as a business tourism destination for 2013 and beyond. Business tourism is an extremely important, high yield sector and Tourism Ireland is working hard to promote the island of Ireland as a premier business tourism destination.”
Joel Robertson, The Lido Group (Australian travel and events specialist); Donna Campbell, Tourism Ireland; Marissa Fernandez, Odyssey International; Nicole Foster, Abbey Incentive & Events; Norhan Youssef, Etihad; and Giselle Griffiths, Spice Magazine.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.