A number of Irish tourism enterprises travelled to Munich recently, to take part in a B2B workshop with some of the leading tour operators in southern Germany, organised by Tourism Ireland.
The aim of the workshop was to increase the island of Ireland’s share of the lucrative German travel market for 2013 and beyond. It provided a valuable opportunity for the participating Irish companies to remind those leading German travel professionals about just how easy it is to reach Ireland from this part of Germany and to encourage them to include Ireland in their future holiday programmes. It was also a fantastic opportunity for Tourism Ireland to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013, Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture and the many other festivals and events taking place here this year to the influential decision-makers in attendance.
Zoë Redmond, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Central Europe, said: “Germany is the world’s second-largest outbound travel market, with over 70 million trips abroad taken each year. Tourism Ireland has a busy programme of promotional activity under way in Germany for 2013, to capitalise on the very strong interest here in the island of Ireland and to grow German visitor numbers. This type of workshop – where we talk directly to influential tour operators – provides us with an excellent opportunity to spread the word about all the great things to see and do in Ireland and to raise awareness about the exciting programme of events taking place as part of The Gathering Ireland and Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture. Working with our industry partners, we will continue promote the distinctiveness of a holiday on the island of Ireland this year, the great value available and the ease of access from Germany. Our message for German holidaymakers is that there has never been a better time to visit.”
Mainland Europe – and in particular Germany and France – is an increasingly important market for tourism to the island of Ireland and in 2013 Tourism Ireland aims to welcome almost 2.5 million European visitors. Over 11 million Germans are seeing Tourism Ireland’s spring TV campaign, which is airing across the country right now on primetime slots on top German stations, to coincide with the important holiday decision-making period in Germany. The campaign also incorporates online advertising – with video footage and ads running on a mix of travel and news websites like Lonely Planet.
Mary Slattery, Shannon Heritage; Ulrike Müller, Abbey Tours; Zoë Fitzgerald, Renvyle House Hotel, Co Galway; Christoph Haustein, Tifco Hotels Ireland; and Geraldine Enright, Cliffs of Moher, during a B2B workshop in Munich.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.