Tourism enterprises from Ireland travelled to Rennes in Brittany, to take part in Tourism Ireland’s B2B workshop and networking event, which was attended by some of the leading travel agents based in north west France.
The aim of the workshop was to increase Ireland’s share of the French travel market in 2013 and to highlight ease of access to the island of Ireland from this part of France – with the Aer Lingus Regional flight from Rennes to Dublin this summer. The event provided a valuable opportunity for the participating Irish companies to remind the influential French travel professionals about the many things to see and do right around the island of Ireland and to encourage them to include Ireland in their future holiday programmes. It was also a fantastic opportunity for Tourism Ireland to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013, Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture and the many festivals and events taking place here this year to the key travel agents in attendance.
Billy Condon, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Southern Europe, said: “Tourism Ireland in France has a busy programme of promotional activity under way for 2013, to capitalise on the strong interest here in the island of Ireland and to grow French visitor numbers. This type of workshop – where we talk directly to influential travel agents – provides us with an excellent opportunity to spread the word about all the great things to see and do in Ireland and to raise awareness about the exciting programme of events taking place during 2013, particularly around The Gathering Ireland and Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture. Working with our industry partners, we are highlighting the distinctiveness of a holiday in Ireland, including the great value available and the ease of access from this part of France. Our message for French holidaymakers is that there has never been a better time to visit.”
Mainland Europe – in particular France and Germany – is an increasingly important market for tourism to the island of Ireland and in 2013 Tourism Ireland aims to welcome almost 2.5 million European visitors.
Prize-winners Laetitia and Jacques Bonhomme, Asto Holidays in Brittany (centre), at the Tourism Ireland workshop in Rennes; pictured with Monica Ramchandani, Aer Lingus (left); Geneviève LeLoup, Holiday Ireland Hotels (second right); and Michael Lally, Maldron Hotel, Cork (right).
- ENDS –
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.