Tourism organisations from around Ireland travelled to Barcelona, to join Tourism Ireland for SITC 2013, the largest holiday and travel show in the Catalonia region of Spain.
SITC (Saló Internacional del Turisme de Catalunya) attracts over 200,000 visitors each year, including leading travel media, tour operators, travel agents, providers of EFL (learning English as a Foreign Language) and business tourism buyers, as well as many thousands of potential holidaymakers looking for ideas and suggestions for their next short break or holiday destination. The three-day event provided a valuable opportunity for the participating Irish companies to showcase their product, do business with Spanish travel professionals and communicate what is unique about the island of Ireland as a holiday destination. It was also a good opportunity to highlight the ease of access to Ireland from this part of Spain. The Gathering Ireland 2013, and the many festivals and events taking place here this year, was also a major focus for Tourism Ireland at this year’s SITC.
Barbara Wood, Tourism Ireland’s manager in Spain, said: “Tourism Ireland in Spain has a busy programme of promotional activity under way for 2013, to capitalise on the strong interest here in the island of Ireland and to build on the growth in Spanish visitors to Ireland in 2012. Our presence at SITC provided an excellent opportunity to spread the word about all the great things to see and do in Ireland and, in particular, to raise awareness about the exciting programme of events taking place during this special year of The Gathering Ireland. Working closely with our tourism partners, we are highlighting the distinctiveness of a holiday on the island of Ireland, the great value available and the ease of access from Spain. Our message for Spanish holidaymakers is that there has never been a better time to visit.”
Trish Smith, representing the Boyne Valley (right), with Barbara Wood, Tourism Ireland, at SITC in Barcelona.
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.