Some of our top golf courses played host to 20 golf pros from Sweden and Norway last week. Invited here by Tourism Ireland, in conjunction with Dublin East Coast Golf Alliance (DECGA) and leading Swedish golf tour operator, Out of Bounds, the pros – from various golf clubs in Sweden and Norway – are important influencers who organise golf breaks and holidays overseas for their members.
During their time here, the Scandinavians got to experience at first-hand some of our top golf courses, teeing off on The Island course in North Dublin, the Palmer Ryder Cup course at the K Club and on the O’Meara Course at Carton House, in Co Kildare. One of the highlights of their visit was a round of golf on the Montgomerie course at Carton House, which will play host to the 2013 Irish Open this June. The group also played the courses at Powerscourt and Druids Glen in Co Wicklow.
Caroline Brunel, Tourism Ireland’s manager in the Nordic Region, said: “With around 772,000 registered golfers in Sweden and Norway, both countries are important golf markets for Tourism Ireland. The visit by these influential golf pros was a wonderful opportunity for us to showcase the fantastic golf product on offer here and to help raise awareness of Ireland’s world-class golf. The aim is that when they return to Sweden and Norway, they are better equipped to advise the members of their clubs on future golf breaks and holidays in Ireland.
“Golf is the world’s largest sports-related travel market and Tourism Ireland is working hard to promote Ireland as a ‘must see’ and ‘must play’ golf destination to Swedish and Norwegian golf enthusiasts. Our message is that Ireland offers golfers the complete package – with top courses, stunning scenery and the warmest of welcomes.”
This year’s Irish Open is being used as a ‘hook’ to highlight our world-class golf. Tourism Ireland is urging golfers in Sweden and Norway, as well as in other important golf markets, like Britain, the United States and Germany, to come and attend the Irish Open and to extend their trip and try out some of our fantastic courses for themselves.
Scandinavian golf pros at Druids Glen, Co Wicklow, with Maarit Kärkkäinen, Tourism Ireland (third right), and Áine Mangan, Dublin East Coast Golf Alliance (second right).
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.