Ten tourism organisations from around the island of Ireland travelled to Stuttgart to join Tourism Ireland for this year’s CMT (Caravan, Motor & Tourism Fair), the largest consumer holiday promotion in Germany.
Attracting over 225,000 visitors each year – including leading travel writers, tour operators and travel agents, as well as many thousands of German holidaymakers looking for ideas and suggestions for their next short break or holiday destination – the nine-day event provided a valuable opportunity for the participating companies to showcase their product and to communicate what is unique about the island of Ireland as a holiday destination. ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ and Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture were a major focus on the Tourism Ireland stand at this year’s CMT.
Zoë Redmond, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Central Europe, said: “Tourism Ireland has a busy programme of promotional activity in Germany throughout 2013, to capitalise on the very strong interest here in the island of Ireland and to grow German visitor numbers. CMT Stuttgart is our first major promotion of 2013, providing an excellent opportunity to spread the word about all the great things to see and do in Ireland and to raise awareness about the exciting programme of events taking place as part of ‘The Gathering Ireland’ and Derry~Londonderry City of Culture. Working with our industry partners, we will continue to promote the distinctiveness of a holiday on the island of Ireland this year, the great value available and the ease of access from Germany. Our message for German holidaymakers is that there has never been a better time to visit.”
Mainland Europe – and in particular Germany and France – is an increasingly important market for tourism to the island of Ireland and in 2013 Tourism Ireland aims to welcome almost 2.5 million European visitors.
Inge Hauff, South West Walks Ireland; Martina Burba, Irish Caravan and Camping Council; Brenda McTigue, B&B Ireland; and Ralf-Michael Hubert, Irish Ferries, at CMT in Stuttgart.
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com; it appears in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is set to be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.