A massive 2.6 million Americans have been reading all about Ireland and some of our top golf courses in an article which appeared in the online version of national daily American newspaper USA Today.
The article – penned by writers at The A Position (a leading American golf website), as well as by two-time Masters (and one-time Irish Open) champion Ben Crenshaw – describes Ireland’s “extensive menu of marvelous golf courses” including courses like Royal Portrush, Ardglas, Baltray, Ballyliffin, Enniscrone, Rosapenna, Connemara, Portmarnock, Ballybunion, Waterville and Killarney. The article also talks about our wonderful scenery, including places like the Dingle peninsula and it “maze of dry stone walls rising out of green pastures”
Click here to read the full, original article on The A Position website.
Alison Metcalfe, Tourism Ireland’s Head of North America, said: “The article in USA Today online was tremendous exposure for the island of Ireland and our world-class golf offering to a huge audience of potential golf holidaymakers. Tourism Ireland is focused on growing the number of golf tourists to Ireland, from the US and other important golf markets around the world. There are strong signs that the number of US golf visitors to the island of Ireland is growing again this year and we have an extensive promotional programme under way with our key partners in the golf industry to accelerate that growth. We are working hard to drive home the message that a golfing holiday in Ireland is about much more than a round of 18 holes – the combination of our world-class golf courses and our unique brand of hospitality plays a key role in attracting golfers to come here.”
The ‘A Position’ is a group of high profile and renowned American golf writers who have worked for many of the top newspapers and magazines in the US and across the globe; they have visited and reviewed thousands of the world’s best golf courses – including Ireland on several occasions, at the invitation of Tourism Ireland. They include renowned broadcaster Peter Kessler, one of the founders of Golf Channel, and writer Jeff Wallach, author of five books including Beyond The Fairway.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.