Seven top Belgian MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and events) buyers attended a networking event in Brussels recently, organised by Tourism Ireland and hosted at the Irish Embassy, by Ambassador Éamonn MacAodha.
The event was organised to highlight the island of Ireland as a world-class conference and business tourism destination to the influential decision-makers in attendance. Danielle Neyts, Tourism Ireland Belgium, said: “Given that the headquarters of over 2,000 associations are located in Brussels, it makes sense for us to proactively target this sector. These associations regularly hold conferences for thousands of delegates in different venues around the world, delivering significant economic benefits to the host country. We were delighted so many of these key business tourism decision-makers took the time to attend our event, demonstrating their keen interest in Ireland as a business tourism destination for 2014 and beyond.”
Belgian MICE buyers at a networking event in the Irish Embassy in Brussels, with HE Éamonn MacAodha, Irish Ambassador to Belgium (back, fourth right); Orla Kraft (back, fifth right) and Danielle Neyts (left), both Tourism Ireland; Azeeta Seery, Fáilte Ireland (front, second right); and Jenny Finegan, Dublin Convention Bureau.
Further media information:
Brian Swift, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.