As part of its push to grow conference and business tourism from Great Britain and elsewhere around the world, Tourism Ireland – together with 17 industry partners from around the island of Ireland – participated in the inaugural Meetings Show in London, a brand new exhibition targeting the MICE (meetings, incentive, conferences and events) sector.
Attracting thousands of leading business tourism buyers from around GB and Mainland Europe, the three-day event offered excellent opportunities for the participating Irish tourism partners to do business face-to-face with the influential decision-makers in attendance, through a series of pre-scheduled appointments and networking opportunities.
David Boyce, Tourism Ireland’s head of business and sports tourism, said: “The Meetings Show is a brand new opportunity for Tourism Ireland and our partners to build awareness of our world-class business and conference facilities, as well as the great experiences delegates can enjoy in Ireland on the sidelines of their conference or meeting. The superb meetings, incentive and transport infrastructure on offer, coupled with our distinctive cultural experience, means the island of Ireland is a very attractive destination for the business tourism market in GB. Business tourism is the most lucrative form of tourism, offering significant economic benefits, and Tourism Ireland is working hard to promote the island of Ireland as a premier business tourism destination.”
Tourism Ireland’s busy programme of activity to grow business tourism from GB and other key markets around the world this year includes a number of events, promotions and familiarisation visits which are highlighting ease of access, the great facilities and good value rates available for meetings and conferences here and getting the island of Ireland known for excellence in business support.
Partners at The Meetings Show UK with Alison Johnston, Fáilte Ireland (third left), and Joyce McElroy, Tourism Ireland (ninth right).
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.