More than 1,000 UK and international travel industry professionals came together at Battersea Evolution in London recently, for the annual Meetings & Incentive Travel Industry Awards, which were sponsored this year by Tourism Ireland. Given that the audience included over 500 meeting, incentive, conferences and event organisers, the awards ceremony was an excellent platform for Tourism Ireland to highlight the island of Ireland as a world-class business tourism destination, using the theme “Meet in Ireland, Connect with Excellence”.
Considered the “Oscars” of the events industry, the annual Meetings & Incentive Travel Industry Awards are organised by Meeting & Incentive Travel magazine each year – bringing together the key players from the valuable business tourism sector and rewarding excellence of service in a wide range of categories.
David Boyce, Tourism Ireland’s head of business and sports tourism, said: “Business Tourism is an extremely important, high yield sector and Tourism Ireland has a busy programme of promotions under way to grow this type of tourism to the island of Ireland, with particular focus on the Association Conference sector. We are highlighting the good value rates available for meetings and conferences from hotels and other suppliers; the ease of access from GB to the island of Ireland; and, in particular, emphasising the world-class conference and meetings facilities available right around the island. We are also showcasing the great experiences delegates can enjoy in Ireland on the sidelines of their conference or meeting, interacting with locals and savouring aspects of our unique culture and heritage.”
There were two winners from the island of Ireland on the night: the Lagan Valley Island Conference Centre, which took a silver award for “Access Excellence”; and The Convention Centre Dublin, which took the gold award for “Best Overseas Conference Centre” (this is the second time that The CCD has won this award).
Donna Brogan, Dublin Convention Bureau; David Boyce, Tourism Ireland; Aoife Thomas, Derry Visitor and Convention Bureau; and Martin Lewis, managing editor Meeting & Incentive Travel magazine, at the annual Meetings & Incentive Travel Industry Awards in London.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.