Fifty Bavarian visitors arrived in Ireland recently for their very own special ‘Gathering’. Paul Daly – chairman of the Irish Bayrisch Society in Munich – decided to organise the visit in 2013, as this is the year of the Gathering.
The German group – which included five musicians – stayed – visited Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford and Cork. Zoë Redmond, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Central Europe, said: “Tourism Ireland was delighted that the Irish Bayrisch Society chose to visit Ireland in this special year of the Gathering. They had a wonderful time here and were extremely impressed by the spectacular scenery, our rich heritage, and especially by the hospitality and friendliness of the people they met.
“Germany is an extremely important market for tourism to the island of Ireland and 2013 is shaping up to be a record year – with the latest CSO figures, from July to September, showing German visitor numbers up +6.8% on the same three-month period last year. Since last year, the Gathering has been a focus of Tourism Ireland’s promotions, to make Ireland a ‘must visit’ choice for a holiday in 2013, for both the Diaspora and non-Diaspora around Germany.”
Members of the Irish Bayrisch Gathering group in Cork Airport.
Brian Swift, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has undertaken an extensive programme of promotions to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013 around the world, working closely with the Gathering project team.