Eight Irish tourism enterprises joined Tourism Ireland for this year’s Meedex, a meetings and events fair which took place at the Carrousel du Louvre in Paris, France.
Meedex is one of a number of business tourism promotions taking place in France in 2013 at which Tourism Ireland will have a presence. With over 150 exhibitors from 25 different countries, this year’s show attracted about 1,000 visitors – including representatives of companies from France and Belgium who organise international conferences, meetings and large-scale incentive events around the world. With a series of pre-arranged appointments, the event provided a valuable opportunity for the participating Irish partners to showcase their product and communicate what is unique about the island of Ireland as a conference and business tourism destination. It was also a fantastic opportunity for Tourism Ireland to highlight The Gathering Ireland and the many festivals and events taking place here this year to the influential decision-makers in attendance.
Billy Condon, Tourism Ireland’s manager in Southern Europe, said: “France has always been a strong player in the French marketplace for incentive business and we are now also proactively targeting the association conference sector, together with our industry partners from Ireland. Our presence at this event was a fantastic opportunity to raise awareness about the exciting programme of events taking place during this special year of The Gathering. Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way in France, and elsewhere around the world, to highlight The Gathering. As well as directly targeting the Diaspora and those with a connection to Ireland, we are also working closely with decision-makers involved in the MICE (meetings, incentive, conferences and events) industry, to enthuse them about the destination and encourage them to include the island of Ireland in their 2013 programmes.”
Business tourism is the most lucrative form of tourism, with visitors travelling here for business purposes spending about 2.5 times more than the average visitor. Tourism Ireland’s promotional programme to grow business tourism from France this year includes highlighting the superb meetings, incentive and transport infrastructure on offer here, the ease of access from France to Ireland, as well as the good value rates available for meetings and conferences.
Eva Schmid, Killarney Hotels (left), meeting a French buyer at Meedex in Paris.
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.