Several Irish tourism enterprises travelled to France recently, to take part in a sales blitz organised by Tourism Ireland, around Paris and its environs, in a bid to increase Ireland’s share of the French business tourism market.
Over two days, the Irish companies had meetings with senior representatives of French agencies involved in organising international meetings and incentive events. The sales mission was an excellent opportunity for the participating Irish companies to showcase their product and to convince the French agents to choose Ireland for their next conference, meeting or incentive event.
Monica MacLaverty, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Southern Europe, said: “We were delighted so many of these French business tourism decision-makers took the time to meet our Irish partners, to hear about our superb meetings and conference facilities and what makes the island of Ireland so special as a business destination. Ireland has always been a strong player in the French marketplace for incentive business and we are now also proactively targeting the association conference sector, together with our industry partners from Ireland.”
Business tourism is the most lucrative form of tourism, with visitors travelling here for business purposes spending about 2.5 times more than the average visitor.
Further media information:
Brian Swift, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has undertaken an extensive programme of promotions to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013 around the world, working closely with the Gathering project team.