Over two million people around India will be reading all about the west of Ireland this autumn, following the visit this week of a top Indian travel writer.
Invited here by Tourism Ireland and Fáilte Ireland, Rishad Saam Mehta writes about travel and holidays for a variety of Indian newspapers and magazines – including Travel + Leisure, a high-end travel magazine; and JetWings, the in-flight magazine for Indian airline Jet Airways, which alone has a readership of over two million people. He was here to research the wonderful walking routes and trails on offer in Galway and Mayo, as well as some of the many other things to see and do here, for feature stories he is planning to write about holidays here.
Some of the highlights of his time here included a walk through the Connemara National Park, a visit to Brigit’s Garden in Rosacahill and a falconry demonstration at Ashford Castle. Huzan Fraser, Tourism Ireland India, said: “Tourism Ireland was delighted to invite this influential journalist to visit the west of Ireland. Visits such as this are extremely important, helping to generate extensive positive coverage about Ireland through the media in India. They are a fantastic way of highlighting the island of Ireland, bringing the destination to the attention of a huge number of potential Indian holidaymakers. Tourism Ireland is very active right now in markets like India, working to raise the profile of Ireland as a premier holiday and business tourism destination. Press visits like this are an invaluable part of our promotional effort.”
Tourism Ireland undertakes a busy publicity programme around the world each year to raise the profile of the destination – and media visits to Ireland are a key element of that programme. In 2012, there were over 1,400 media visits to the island of Ireland, which helped to generate articles and broadcasts around the globe worth about €50 million in equivalent advertising value.
Indian travel writer Rishad Saam Mehta, during his visit to Ireland.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.