Eleven tourism organisations from around the island of Ireland – joined Tourism Ireland at this year’s Classic Car Show in Birmingham.
The Classic Car Show is one of the largest vintage car shows in Great Britain – attracting about 58,000 visitors each year and offering a fantastic platform to spread the word about car touring holidays around the island of Ireland.
Vanessa Markey, Tourism Ireland’s head of Great Britain, said: “Great Britain is the island of Ireland’s largest tourism market and Tourism Ireland is actively promoting longer-stay holidays in the GB market, encouraging people to come and discover Ireland by car. Visitors who use or bring a car on holidays tend to stay longer, spend more and are more likely to visit more than one region.
“Our attendance at this year’s Classic Car Show event was a wonderful opportunity to highlight our driving routes like the Grand Tour of Kildare and Wicklow; the Causeway Coastal Route; and the Wild Atlantic Way – Ireland’s first long-distance driving route, stretching from the Inishowen Peninsula in Co Donegal to Kinsale in Co Cork, which will offer our visitors from Britain and elsewhere around the world an opportunity to discover the west coast.”
Billy Nutt, Nutt Travel, Coleraine; Beth Swindlehurst, Galgorm Resort & Spa, Ballymena; Jemma Picken, Sligo Park Hotel; Jason Powell, Causeway Coast and Glens; and Margaret Mellor, Tourism Ireland, at the Classic Motor Show in Birmingham.
Further media information:
Brian Swift, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.