Welcoming the good news that Ireland is one of Fodor’s Travel’s top places to visit in 2013, Niall Gibbons, chief executive of Tourism Ireland, said: “This accolade couldn’t have come at a better time as we get ready to kick off our year-long celebration of all things Irish, with The Gathering Ireland 2013. The high profile listing in Fodor’s Travel ‘Go List’ of the top 25 places to visit in 2013 provides Tourism Ireland with yet another opportunity to promote Ireland as a ‘must see’ destination in our promotional activities across the world. We intend to fully capitalise on the opportunities this accolade presents throughout 2013 and beyond.”
Tourism Ireland has had a busy programme of promotional activity in place around the globe this autumn to promote The Gathering Ireland – with a series of high-profile Ministerial launches in key markets, an intensive programme of engagement with Gathering ‘enablers’ and Irish business networks, as well as promotions to influential travel trade contacts and consumers. In 2013, Tourism Ireland will encourage the Diaspora in places like Great Britain, US, Canada and Australia to come home. The Gathering will be highly visible across all of Tourism Ireland’s marketing activity – on and offline – including advertising, direct marketing, emarketing promotions, publicity and social media.
Fodors Travel asks “why go now” and responds with: “Throughout 2013, Ireland will host events, festivals, and reunions in honor of the more than 70 million people worldwide who claim Irish heritage. The Gathering welcomes those with Irish roots back to their ancestral homeland to reconnect with the country's lush landscapes and vibrant cultures. Visitors can track their genealogies, explore the villages of their forebears, and mingle with current residents. More than just a celebration for those with Irish blood, The Gathering offers music festivals, pub crawls, and public gatherings in all corners of the country for those who are Irish in spirit as well.”
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2011, approximately 7.3 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland (+4% on 2010), delivering revenue of approximately €3.4 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent. In 2011, discoverireland.com attracted almost 12 million unique visitors.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country.
• Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.