Tourism Ireland warmly welcomes the announcement by US-based airline United of a new service from Chicago to Shannon, which will commence on 6 June 2013. The service will operate five days a week until 26 August and will certainly help boost tourism business from the all-important US market to Shannon and the West of Ireland.
Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, said: “We look forward to working closely with United to maximise the promotion of this new route. As an island, direct, convenient and competitive access services are critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism. Tourism Ireland is committed to working with United, Shannon Airport and other tourism interests to drive demand for this new service, and all other services to the island of Ireland, and to help maintain our vital network of routes and services.
Niall Gibbons continued: “The United States is a tremendously important tourism market, second only to Britain in terms of delivering visitor numbers and Tourism Ireland has a strong and comprehensive promotional programme under way right now, highlighting ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’. We are extending an invitation to the millions of people across the United States who have ancestral links with Ireland to ‘come home’ next year. We are also calling on expatriates and those with an affinity for Ireland to get involved and organise their own ‘Gathering’ events in Ireland next year.”
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2011, approximately 7.3 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland (+4% on 2010), delivering revenue of approximately €3.4 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent. In 2011, discoverireland.com attracted almost 12 million unique visitors.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country.
• Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world this autumn, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.