Tourism Ireland warmly welcomes today’s announcement by US Airways of a new, daily flight between Philadelphia and Shannon Airport, which will commence on 23 May 2013. The service will operate until 3 September 2013 and will help boost both leisure and business tourism from the all-important US market to Shannon and to the west of Ireland. This is the third route for 2013 to be added from the US to Ireland in the last month, with United having recently announced a new flight from Chicago to Shannon and American Airlines having announced a new daily service from JFK, New York to Dublin.
Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, said: “This is yet another wonderful boost for tourism to the island of Ireland from the US. We have worked with US Airways for many years and we look forward to working closely with them to maximise the promotion of this new route. As an island, direct, convenient and competitive access services are critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism. Tourism Ireland is committed to working with US Airways, Shannon Airport and other tourism interests, through co-operative marketing, to drive demand for this new service – as we work with other carriers and partners to promote and help maintain vital routes and services to the island."
Niall Gibbons continued: “The United States is a tremendously important tourism market, second only to Britain in terms of delivering visitor numbers. The US market is performing very well this year, with visitor numbers up +21% for the month of September alone; and with the addition of these new routes, we have the opportunity to welcome more Americans than ever. Tourism Ireland has a strong and comprehensive promotional programme under way highlighting ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ – we’re extending an invitation to the millions of people across the United States with an ancestral link with Ireland to ‘come home’ next year.”
Tourism Ireland and tourism enterprises from across the island of Ireland today began the promotional drive for the 2013 season at World Travel Market (WTM) in London today. World Travel Market is the largest B2B event in the global travel and tourism calendar, with almost 50,000 representatives of the industry from around the world and 3,000 influential international media in attendance.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2011, approximately 7.3 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland (+4% on 2010), delivering revenue of approximately €3.4 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent. In 2011, discoverireland.com attracted almost 12 million unique visitors.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country.
• Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world this autumn, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.