Tourism Ireland warmly welcomes today’s announcement by American Airlines of a new, daily flight between JFK, New York and Dublin, which will commence on 13 June 2013. The service will operate until October 2013 and will certainly help boost both leisure and business tourism from the all-important US market to the island of Ireland.
Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, said: “This is wonderful news for tourism to the island of Ireland from the US. We have worked closely with American Airlines for many years and look forward to co-operating with them to maximise the promotion of this new route. As an island, direct, convenient and competitive access services are critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism. Tourism Ireland is committed to working with American Airlines, Dublin Airport and other tourism interests, through co-operative marketing, to drive demand for this new service – as we work with other carriers and partners to promote and help maintain vital routes and services to the island.
Niall Gibbons continued: “The United States is a tremendously important tourism market, second only to Great Britain in terms of delivering visitor numbers; in fact, Ireland’s share of the US travel market to Europe is now at its highest ever level and this year Ireland looks set to welcome more American visitors than ever before. The new American Airlines service is particularly welcome news as we prepare for a very special year in 2013, with ‘The Gathering Ireland’ – when we are inviting friends and family across the United States to join our year-long celebration of everything that is unique and great about Ireland and when Derry~Londonderry takes on the mantle of UK City of Culture.”
Tourism Ireland will be launching its marketing plans for 2013 to tourism industry leaders at the end of November.
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2011, approximately 7.3 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland (+4% on 2010), delivering revenue of approximately €3.4 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent. In 2011, discoverireland.com attracted almost 12 million unique visitors.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country.
• Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world this autumn, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.