Tourism Ireland in France launched its marketing plans for 2013 this week – at an event in Paris attended by leading French tour operators and travel media. Mainland Europe – and in particular France and Germany – is an increasingly important market for tourism to the island of Ireland and in 2013 Tourism Ireland aims to welcome almost 2.5 million European visitors.
Billy Condon, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Southern Europe, said: “We have a busy programme of promotions planned for 2013. The major focus of our activity will be The Gathering Ireland 2013 and Derry~Londonderry UK City of Culture – which will provide fresh and compelling reasons for French people to visit next year. We will continue to highlight the distinctiveness of a holiday on the island of Ireland, the great value available and the ease of access from France. Our message for French holidaymakers is that there has never been a better time to visit.”
Sally Anne Browne, City West Hotel Dublin; Evelyn O’Sullivan, Cork Convention Bureau; Finola O’Mahony and Billy Condon, both Tourism Ireland; Caitriona Butler, Irish Ferries; and Geneviève Leloup, Holiday Ireland Hotels, at the launch of Tourism Ireland’s 2013 marketing plans in Paris.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent. In 2011, discoverireland.com attracted almost 12 million unique visitors.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country.
• Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.