Several tourism organisations travelled to Germany to join Tourism Ireland for a business tourism sales blitz recently. The four-city tourism trade mission took in the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, Bonn and Essen – aiming to increase the island of Ireland’s share of the lucrative German conference and business tourism market.
Over three days, the participating tourism companies met with senior representatives of German companies involved in organising international meetings and incentive events. It was also a fantastic opportunity for Tourism Ireland to unveil ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ to top-level decision-makers from the German business tourism sector
Zoë Redmond, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Central Europe, said: “This type of sales blitz provides us with an excellent opportunity to spread the word about the world-class business tourism product on offer around the island of Ireland. The superb meetings, incentive and transport infrastructure on offer, coupled with our distinctive cultural experience, means the island of Ireland is an attractive destination for the business tourism sector in Germany.
“The three-day sales mission was also a wonderful opportunity to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ and the fantastic programme of events planned for next year. This autumn, Tourism Ireland is undertaking an extensive programme of promotions in Germany, and elsewhere around the world, to highlight ‘The Gathering’. As well as directly targeting the Diaspora and those with a connection to Ireland, we are also working closely with decision-makers involved in the MICE (meetings, incentive, conferences and events) industry, to enthuse them about the destination and encourage them to include the island of Ireland in their 2013 programmes.”
Melanie Uhlig-Sanchez, representing Irish Horizons; Patricia Walsh, representing Meet in Galway; and Richard Collins, Druid’s Glen Resort, Co Wicklow, in Düsseldorf during the business tourism sales blitz.
Further media information:
Jasmine O’Brien, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2011, approximately 7.3 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland (+4% on 2010), delivering revenue of approximately €3.4 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent. In 2011, discoverireland.com attracted almost 12 million unique visitors.
• Business tourism is the most lucrative form of tourism, with visitors travelling here for business purposes spending about 2.5 times more than the average visitor.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country.
• Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world this autumn, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.