Tourism operators from around Ireland travelled to Vancouver in Canada last week, to take part in Tourism Ireland’s final ‘Jump into Ireland’ sales blitz of 2012, which also took in the cities of San Francisco and Los Angeles in the US. The ‘Jump’ sales blitzes have targeted about 1,500 travel agents in all throughout 2012, in nine key cities in Canada and the United States. Similar events have taken place already this year in Toronto, Boston, Atlanta and Tampa.
Last week’s busy schedule included an interactive presentation with a ‘virtual tour’ of Ireland, as well as networking opportunities with influential travel agents and key travel and lifestyle media based in and around Vancouver – providing an excellent opportunity for the participating Irish tourism companies to showcase their product to these key decision-makers. It was also a fantastic opportunity to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013 to the influential travel agents and journalists in attendance.
Jayne Shackleford, Tourism Ireland’s manager in Canada, said: “Our ‘Jump into Ireland’ events, where we talk directly to Canadian travel agents and influential media contacts and tell them what makes the island of Ireland such a fantastic vacation destination, are an excellent opportunity to help grow tourism from Canada. We were delighted that so many of the key travel decision-makers in Vancouver attended our ‘Jump’ event, demonstrating their keen interest in Ireland for 2013. And, given Canada’s connections with Ireland, with over four million Canadians claiming Irish ancestral links or affiliations with the island of Ireland, our event was also a fantastic opportunity to spread the word about the exciting programme of events being planned for The Gathering Ireland 2013.”
Tourism operators from around Ireland, with Jayne Shackleford (sixth left), Helen Cole (second right) and Hillarie McGuinness (right), all Tourism Ireland, during the ‘Jump into Ireland’ event in Vancouver.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2011, approximately 7.3 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland (+4% on 2010), delivering revenue of approximately €3.4 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent. In 2011, discoverireland.com attracted almost 12 million unique visitors.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country.
• Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world this autumn, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.