Ireland has been named “best tourism destination” in the United States by frequent travellers. In a survey conducted during 2012, readers of US travel magazine Global Traveler named Ireland their favourite tourism destination overall.
The magazine asked 28,000 of its business and luxury traveller readers to select their favourite destination, airline and other travel-related products and services. The gala awards ceremony took place in Beverly Hills in California and was attended by travel industry leaders. Alison Metcalfe, Tourism Ireland’s Vice President of Marketing in the US, said: “We are delighted that Ireland has been singled out for this accolade by the readers of Global Traveler. Tourism Ireland has had a very busy programme of promotional activity right throughout 2012, to build awareness of the island of Ireland as a premier vacation destination among American consumers. It is really important to make the island of Ireland stand out from other destinations – so this award is good news indeed, particularly as we prepare to kick off our extensive 2013 promotional drive.”
2012 looks set to be one of the strongest years ever for visitors from North America to Ireland (since the previous high of 2007, when we welcomed over one million visitors). And, with the number of airline seats from the United States to Ireland set to grow by +20% for the summer of 2013, Tourism Ireland believes this is a market of considerable potential. A new three-year plan – “Make Ireland Jump Out” – will be rolled out in the US in 2013. It aims to increase the number of American visitors by +20% between 2013 and 2015 and to win a greater share of all travel by Americans to Europe.
This is the ninth year of the Global Traveler's GT Tested Reader Survey, presented annually to recognise the most outstanding destinations, airlines, hotels, frequent flyer programmes and other travel-related services. The survey is organised by Global Traveler magazine, a glossy travel magazine with over 125,000 readers. Results are available at: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10192683.htm
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country. Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.