Eight tourism companies from around Ireland joined Tourism Ireland for this year’s IFTM (International French Travel Market), which took place in Paris.
IFTM is the largest travel trade exhibition in France, attracting almost 30,000 visitors each year including influential tour operators and travel agents, as well as business tourism decision-makers and leading French travel media. The event provided a wonderful platform for the participating Irish tourism partners to showcase their product directly to the French travel trade. It was also a fantastic opportunity for Tourism Ireland to launch ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ to the travel agents and tour operators attending the show.
Billy Condon, Tourism Ireland’s manager for Southern Europe, said: “IFTM was a wonderful opportunity for us to unveil ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ and the fantastic programme of events in the pipeline for next year to our top travel trade contacts here in France. As well as directly targeting the Diaspora and those with a connection to Ireland, Tourism Ireland is working closely with influential travel agents and tour operators, so that they will encourage their clients to come here next year to enjoy the festivals and events of ‘The Gathering’.
“This type of promotion, where we talk directly to members of the travel trade, provides us with an excellent opportunity to spread the word about the many great things to see and do on holiday in Ireland. France is an important market for tourism to the island of Ireland and Tourism Ireland has a busy promotional programme in place this autumn, showcasing Ireland as a fantastic holiday destination.”
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2011, approximately 7.3 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland (+4% on 2010), delivering revenue of approximately €3.4 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.discoverireland.com; there are 42 different websites, providing information in 14 different languages covering every continent. In 2011, discoverireland.com attracted almost 12 million unique visitors.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ will be Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative and will consist of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country.